Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSXML Core Service Update 973687 Confusion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

I have Windows Update set to download updates & notify me before installing. There are currently two updates pertaining to MSXML Core Service [972688 & 973687] and I followed the links to the kb articles. According to KB973687 "Prerequisites: To apply this update, you must have MSXML 3.0 or MSXML 6.0 installed. "
According to Add/Remove Programs I have MSXML 4.0 SP2 on my WinXP tab ed SP3. So my conclusion is that I should NOT install 973687. Is there some other article or info re 973687 that I don't know about?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

If Windows Update is offering you install options, they should be right for your computer and if not, they will probably fail.

Turn off Automatic Updates, temporarily, do a manual check, choose Custom, not Express, see if you get the same result.

It can sometimes be helpful when you know what other people have installed, so this is from my Add/Remove list:

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672) 2.56 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) 2.56 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) 2.62 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) 2.67 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) 2.77 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK 1.28 MB
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579) 1.31 MB

You can Google for info on what they're all about - too technical for me, all I do know is that versions 3.0, 4.0 and 6.0
can happily co-exist, no idea why I have 4 and 6 only, nor am I bothered, either. If I needed version 3.0, I expect
I would have encountered problems by now.

Maybe someone else will pitch in, now I've bumped your post.

If you want an independent check for necessary updates/hotfixes, the following 2 FREE programs are very useful:

1. MS Baseline Security Analyzer; scans your system, tells you what's missing and offers downloads to run or save.

ver 2.1.1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
It's also very informative generally, checks many other things.

2. Belarc Advisor is a useful tool, for a really detailed profile of your computer; hardware, software, MS Hotfixes, product keys,
software licences etc. It will tell you if any updates/hotfixes are missing.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

(Best things in life are free, except computers and motorcycles).

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

Thanks Petewills. Good to know those MSXML versions can coexist. I googled for "MSXML Core Service update" "973687 update" and various combinations and got some hits but nothing that helped. An MS article did say they recommended updating to MSXML 6.0, but didn't say why [that I understood]. You've got 6.0 so you're up to date.

I ran Custom Update and it gave me the same 3 "High Priority" updates I got w/ Automatic Update. From reading the info at MS I think the MSXML updates are to correct a problem in connecting to some URLs rather than to plug a security risk. The 972688 MSXML update says it can't be uninstalled and if it's not a high-risk security update I like to wait and see if any bad bugs are IDed in the update, so I'll re-google after awhile. I don't know enough to predict what updates might have the potential to cause problems.

Windows Update has, in the past, offered me updates that I declined after I followed the link and read about them. Back in the 6-security-updates-a-day Win2K days [2003] I had to do a LOT of troubleshooting trying to get things to work again after updates. One of the updates I previously "hid" that MS found again when I just ran the Update check is to correct spell checker in Dutch. I do think Update might tell me to install 973687 when I don't need it and maybe even shouldn't install it.

I try to stick to security updates and updates that correct some Window's or Office function that I would like to use only it doesn't work and I always keep my fingers crossed that the update itself doesn't break something. I don't have time to check most of the security updates before installing, but I try to check other updates and any "can't uninstall" ones before I install. That's how I ended up reading that I should have MSXML 3.0 or MSXML 6.0 installed for 973687 - I was checking out 972688 and followed the link for 973687 while I was at it.

I've used Belarc a lot in the past, but forgot about it after I reformatted this computer last Jan. I usually use it to help me fill out my newcomputer specs & info sheet - w/ software version #'s, hardware specs etc - which I am always still trying to complete by the time the computer dies. If I remember correctly Belarc lists the updates installed and notes any missing critical updates. I'll re-download Belarc and see what it says. I 'll also give MS Baseline Security Analyzer a try and see what info it provides.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi, MaryBet, thanks for that.

It's always interesting and informative to see how others deal with their systems; all part of the learning process.

I guess I'm just too lazy to worry too much and frankly confess that I have generally acccepted
updates offered, without too much investigation.

I just use those two programs to doublecheck from time to time and keep a printout
from Belarc of all the specs; you never know when it may come in handy.

If I remember correctly Belarc lists the updates installed and notes any missing critical updates.

That's it.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

Just an update

I did a search for msxml*.dll on my thinkpad after reinstalling the OS & lenovo programs from recovery cds, which put me back to sp2 and ie6, and then updating to sp3. I found msxml's going from msxml1 to msxml6. So the msxml 4sp2 that was in add/remove programs before was one of the updates to msxml4 and not msxml4 itself. After updating to sp3 there were no msxmls in add/remove programs.

I don't know if the early msxmls, like msxml1, are just leftovers, leftovers w/ a potential security hole or necessary for backward compatibility. I have no idea if there are web pages out there that still require msxml1. Among the 68 critical/important updates listed after installing sp3 were several for msxml 3, 4 & 6. One labeled for 4, was also for 3 & 6 if you followed the link. I thought msxml6 was backward compatible, but maybe not.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

FWIW, the only MSXML I have listed in my add/remove programs is MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579) 1.30 MB

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

<<After updating to sp3 there were no msxmls in add/remove programs.>>

Ditto.

I've seen the installs previously but...I don't see them as separate items in Add/Remove. They may be listed as Security Updates, for which I don't see the detail.

Google, MSXML Security Updates

Louis

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

I think MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579) is an update to msxml 6.0, so that is why is it in add/remove programs. MXSML is part of the os and doesn't appear in add/remove, but updates do. That's what had me confused initially - I thought that since MSXML 4 sp2 was in add/remove and MSXML 6 wasn't that I didn't have 6. But I actually had msxml 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6. Also some update may say "for 3 & 6" but when you follow the links you find it also updates 4.

KB933579 was a "complete installation package" - one that installed MSXML 6 as well as the update.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933579
SP3 installs msxml 6 and I'm guessing KB933579 was an update to cover those who stuck w/ sp2 to both install and update msxml 6.

As I understand it, msxml is what is called a parser., I think it's what windows - I guess IE- uses to parse/read web pages or parts of web pages. I think programs that run on windows and have web access features may use it and/or web-based apps may call it. I did a lot of googling on msxml before, but most of the info was provided by ms and ms and I speak different languages. I often need a translator. Also a lot of the articles are written for program or web developers. MSXML is described as "a set of services that allow applications written in JScript, VBScript, and Microsoft development tools to build Windows-native XML-based applications." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSXML

MSXML 6 is not backward compatible as I'd thought I'd read but apparently hadn't. You still need 3 & 4 for "legacy features". MSXML 3 supports XDR [whatever that is], but 6 does not. MSXML 5 is installed w/ Office 2003 & 2007. MSXML 1-2.6 are obsolete, so I can probably delete them from my computer.

Per wikipedia, IE 6, 7 & 8 use MSXML 3 by default [I guess so XDR gets parsed when necessary] so I'm assuming 4 & 6 are there for other applications to call.

And that's all I guess/think/know about that.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users