Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 search - rubbish? or me!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 danx55

danx55

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

hi all,

is it just me (could be!) or is the windows 7 doc search totally rubbish - it doesnt seem to find anything - even when i try docs that i know are there ? :huh:

.....olr am i using it wrong?

thanks
dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

Could be a combination, I find the doc search is a little bit more of a pain myself. It likes too work its own way. how are you using it?

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 30 November 2009 - 01:44 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

is it just me (could be!) or is the windows 7 doc search totally rubbish

I think it works great. Perhaps your documents have not yet been indexed, or you are searching in the wrong location?

#4 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

I was just gifted a laptop with windows 7 and I'm not all that computer literate. how do you index your docs please? thanks.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

Indexing happens automatically; I am not sure how often that happens though.

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

I think it continually indexes the file system when it's turned on. I installed my Windows 7 OEM free upgrade a couple of weeks ago and was exploring around in Control Panel. I opened Programs > Windows features, and noticed Indexing was unchecked. I thought that was strange, since I remembered indexing was the default in XP (which was better turned off). I checked it to turn it on. I would have expected that to be the default setting for 7, but maybe it's not. Does anyone know?

#7 danx55

danx55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

hi guys,

right - could be the indexing - think i turned that off as pc was too slow :/

i was just in my docs and entering the name of a file i knew was there - it sort of actively filters rather than waiting and then searching

cheers
dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users