Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical Mouse freezing up every few seconds.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EthanD

EthanD

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

Well recently (about a week ago), my mouse has just been randomly freezing every 10 seconds - 10 minutes for about 3-5 seconds each freeze. This is really irritating considering that I develop a majority of programs in VB and C#, along with moderating several pretty big websites including my own.

I am not the only user of this computer. My brother and uncle both use this computer, although my brother is the one who tends to download various miscellaneous programs. The only reason he can't be held accountable for anything, though, is simply because he's been out of state for the past week. And all my uncle ever does is watch Naruto.

Nothing major has been downloaded in the last few days, just a few programs from that website I moderate, which I never even ran. I just downloaded them so they could be analyzed for the possibility of containing viruses. They're all run in emulated environments of course, and not actually on my computer. I mean, occasionally I'll run a program in sandboxie, but that's besides the point.

To be more precise about how my mouse freezes:

Randomly, about 30 minutes into running my computer, I'll be switching to a new tab in firefox, or loading a website, or something and my mouse will just freeze for about 5 seconds. Normally if something happened like that, I'd just dismiss it like nothing had happened. The only problem with this is that it's recurring. So once it starts freezing, it keeps going more frequently. Like, I'll be fine for about 30 minutes, my mouse will freeze for 4-5 seconds, and it will keep going on repetitively every 10-30 seconds. And it doesn't ever seem to stop until I close firefox and restart. That's the other thing, it only seems to happen when I have firefox running, which makes me start to wonder if it's a problem with the browser, and not actually my computer. Although I don't necessarily have to be clicking on firefox or being in its browser to occur.

Also, about 20 minutes ago (the sole reason I'm posting this thread here now), my mouse just froze all together, and I was forced to restart my computer. I did run some tests on it though while my mouse was frozen on screen. See, my mouse (the actual hardware) was still functioning fine. The light was still on, and it still got brighter when I moved it around. Everything else was working too. I checked task manager doing a lot of tabbing, and all of the processes were fine, and system idle processes was at a steady 90-99%. The only thing shooting up sometimes was task manager, but that's normal when I'm running task manager looking through all of the processes. My CPU usage was fine overall, and my whole computer was functioning normally. I chatted with a friend on xfire, and I looked through a few open websites, etc. It was all fine except the mouse was frozen in its location. So I just restarted the computer manually and everything was fine when I turned it back on.

I ran a quick mbam scan and it only came up with a few files. There was some armadax crap that my brother installed a few months ago, and I forgot it was even on there, so I just removed it. And then it found a dll that was used for a game updater that my friend created. I removed it anyway. I am also running a full scan at the moment, and it says it detected 17 things so far, so I am getting a little anxious, but it could very well be armadax again, since I never restarted after the last scan. Oh well, I'll restart after this scan.

I'm just hoping that somebody might be able to help with this issue. It's very annoying trying to do anything productive when you're mouse acts up like that. I'm sure you could imagine it.

If anyone thinks they can help solve the problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ethan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Tried a different mouse?

Louis

#3 EthanD

EthanD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

Not yet, haven't had any trouble ever since I restarted. But then again, I haven't been doing anything major on firefox. I think it just might be firefox. I'll try restarting it later.

Btw, finished MBAM Scan, and it was all just programs I made. It detects my deleting .ini files and creating new .ini files as a virus. I found new methods, though, so I just quarantined them. It's obviously not malware.

#4 Jesus1

Jesus1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

pebcak error?

#5 EthanD

EthanD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

pebcak error?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.

Pebcak?

#6 Jesus1

Jesus1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

i think you have a pebcak error...it would explain alot

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

Does seem quite likely!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 EthanD

EthanD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

Figured it out. I just spent about 30 minutes to figure out the problem. It's actually my mouse. For some reason, every time the cord moves to the left, it turns off. Going to go uot and buy a new mouse sometime soon.

/Solved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users