Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer doesnt shut down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nukie

nukie

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

Hey everyone,
Im my PC has been running reasonably well for the last year or so. However yesterday, I turned the computer off by pushing the button and windows was doing all its shut down procedure, so I left the computer... I come back the next day to find that Windows was stuck on the "Windows is shutting down" screen. And I have tried turning it off 3 other times today, however it keeps getting stuck on that screen. Now I am forced to turn it off by the plug, which I am not too sure of.

The computer does seem to be working a tad slower than usual too, but I could just be imagining it.

Now Im not too sure whether my computer has a virus or... is there something wrong with the system.

Could anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:23 AM

Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
Open "My Computer"
Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat the process.

How do things look after doing that?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 nukie

nukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

wow thanks, quick way to solve it.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

wow thanks, quick way to solve it.

Pleased to see that it worked for you.
Thank you for posting with the news.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users