Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP crashes and reboots, likely driver problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 msgsu

msgsu

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:36 AM

Athlon 2600 XP
2 gb ram
windows xp pro

I just installed xp pro onto a new hard drive in a computer with parts that are probably about 4-6 years old. I reinstalled as many drivers as I thought I had, but I seem to be missing some because after about an hour of operation it crashes and reboots. The error report sent to Microsoft said there was a driver problem causing the crash and reboot, but they could not identify which one. At work I had a similar problem and installing the newest video driver fixed that. I have gone back and forth with about 3 different drivers for my Radeon 9600se, but they don't seem to be the problem. The crashes persist.

Is there a way to figure out which driver, (or process,) is suspect? I don't have any yellow notice signs in the device manager.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:58 AM

Do you get the message to send the information to Microsoft on the next reboot or before?

If you choose to send and you Internet connection is still working, it can take a while (a minute or two), for any information to come back, and the info may be too generic to be useful, but if you get some, copy/paste if back here.

Is this where you are looking for video drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Are you using the ATI Catalyst Control Center in your configuration?

There will probably be an Event in the Even log to go with the error, so here are some things you call do to provide additional information:

Reduce the number of questions, guessing and trying things that might work maybe by supplying more information:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) or whatever appears to be only your business that you can delete from the paste.

Reduce the chances of malicious software by running some scans.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

Look in the vent Viewer for clues around the time of the failure:

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System. Some logs may be almost or completely empty.

Not every event it a problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay and some are warnings
No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs, Warnings will have yellow !s.

Information messages have white is. Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue.

Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting. Try to find just the events at the date and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with more information. On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear the log (backing up the log is offered), then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the time of your issue.

Edited by joseibarra, 29 November 2009 - 08:05 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 msgsu

msgsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

The microsoft crash reports are now coming up as corrupted. Should I follow the instructions for persistently corrupted reports?

I had installed the video driver from a download from years ago, I saved the install file. I will try installing the driver from you link.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ***
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model A7N8X-X
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1921 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X-X ACPI BIOS Rev 1007, 10/7/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name ***\***
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.45 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.60 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Ran malwarebytes.org scan and came back with zero results. Ran superanitspyware.com, came back with 8 cookies, but crashed twice at the 13 minute mark.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/29/2009
Time: 1:12:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME-3FAC251C32
Description:
Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 20 30 2e ure 0.
0018: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 0.0.0 in
0020: 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 6e unknown
0028: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
0030: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs
0038: 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 30 et 00000
0040: 30 30 30 000

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 11/29/2009
Time: 1:20:45 PM
User: N/A
Computer: KITELESS
Description:
Error code 0000004e, parameter1 0000008f, parameter2 000400d2, parameter3 0004009a, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 34 0000004
0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 30 30 30 30 38 66 2c 20 00008f,
0038: 30 30 30 34 30 30 64 32 000400d2
0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 34 30 30 , 000400
0048: 39 61 2c 20 30 30 30 30 9a, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

I hope this is a good start. Let me know where I should go from here. Thanks!

#4 msgsu

msgsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

I tried running SUPERAntiSpyware again, and another crash before completing.

Blue Screen info:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Ntfs.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you have seen the stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows update you might need.

If problem continues disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press F8 to select advanced start up options and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE49DFCD4, 0x00000000, 0xF7B6344A, 0x00000001)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address F7B6344A base at F7B3B000, DateStamp 45cc56a7

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

#5 msgsu

msgsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware finally completed a scan successfully. Only cookies were found, no other threats.

#6 msgsu

msgsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:49 AM

I updated the driver as per your instructions and I increased the size of the page file. I was running well for a few hours until I got a new blue screen based on this: BAD_POOL_HEADER

#7 msgsu

msgsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:10 AM

I just remembered that at one point I was hooking stuff up and did a quick plug in/out of my printer's usb cable early on in this win xp install job. I looked in the device manager for a printer driver, but none showed. I reinstalled the printer driver just in case. I accidentally clicked cancel the first time I was installing the driver and it crashed mid-rollback. After this crash I got my first crash report from microsoft that was not corrupted. Details below:

Blue screen error caused by a device or driver

You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the blue screen error from recurring. Try them in the order given. If one step does not solve the problem, then move on to the next one.
Steps to solve this problem

Download and install the latest updates and device drivers for your computer

1. Use Windows Update to check for and install updates:

Click to go online to the Windows Update website.Click to go online to the Windows Update website.

Note
If Microsoft Update is installed, you'll be taken to the Microsoft Update website.

Click Custom to check for available updates.

In the left pane, under Select by Type, click each of the following links to view all available updates:

High Priority

Software, Optional

Hardware, Optional

Select the updates you want, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Updates.

If you recently added a new hardware device to your computer, go online to the manufacturer's website to see if a driver update is available.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32, and then click OK. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Go to www.microsoft.com and search for "computer manufacturers"Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers

If you recently added a new program to your computer, go online to the manufacturer's website to see if an update is available.

Scan your computer for viruses

Many blue screen errors can be caused by computer viruses or other types of malicious software.

If you have an antivirus program installed on your computer, make sure it is up to date with the latest antivirus definitions and perform a complete scan of your system. Check your antivirus product's website for information on getting the latest updates.

If you do not have antivirus software installed on your computer, we recommend using a web-based scanner to check your computer for malware. Many of the top antivirus software providers offer this service free of charge on their websites.

To see a list of Microsoft and third-party providers of antispyware, anti-malware, and antivirus software, go online to the following website:

Go to www.microsoft.com and search for "Security software"Security software: Downloads and trials

To see a list of antivirus software vendors, go online to the following Knowledge Base article:

Go to support.microsoft.com and search for "49500"List of antivirus software vendors

Tip
Consider scanning your computer using more than one web-based antivirus scanner, even if you have an antivirus program installed on your computer. This will help make sure that you are using the most up-to-date antivirus definitions and allows you to benefit from the different strengths of each antivirus software manufacturer. If you do run multiple antivirus products, make sure you run only one product at a time. Running multiple antivirus products simultaneously can produce incorrect results.

Check your hard disk for errors

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.

Click Start, and then click My Computer.

Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this might take several minutes or longer. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.

Note
If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.

For more information, go online to read the following article:

Go to www.support.microsoft.com and search for "315265"How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

Steps to work around this problem

Warning
These steps are designed to address a particular problem but might do so by temporarily disabling or removing some functionality on your computer.

Remove any new hardware or software to isolate the cause of the blue screen

If you received the blue screen error after adding a new hardware device or program, and downloading updates didn't solve the problem, try removing the device or program and restarting Windows. If removing the new device or program allows Windows to start without the error, contact the device or program's manufacturer to get product updates or to learn about any known issues with the device or program.

Restore your computer to an earlier state

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:24 AM

I was suspecting some potential RAM issues and the BSODs you are seeing could be traced to marginal RAM... or drivers.

A popular RAM tester is memtest86, but you can't run it on top of Windows - it needs to run from a floppy or a bootable CD. Here is the downloading/info link:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

You will need to burn the ISO and create a bootable CD which is "a lot" of effort just to run a memory test.

Are there any other clues in the Event Viewer for the BSOD or any other non boring info on the BSOD page?

I think if it was me, I would power off, unplug, touch a metal part of the case to disharge any staic build up in my body, remove/replace the RAM and double check all the connections, cables, cards too.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

Memtest86 is outdated and has been found to be unreliable...use Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

See Known Problems at Memtest86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest .

Louis

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,306 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

I must update my notes! :thumbsup:

#11 msgsu

msgsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

I got tired of playing the guessing game with the error codes that kept changing. I took out the two half gig ram sticks and just left one 1 gb stick in. I ran Memtest86+ from an Ubuntu disc and it checked out. I have reinstalled XP and I am going from there. I will be in contact if the devils pop back up!

Thanks much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users