Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need fix within next 7 hours.. Antivirus System Pro/Unable to start Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wiredandedgy

wiredandedgy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:59 AM

So I'm at my friends house, and I'm doodling around on one of his older Sony Vaio Desktop computers (Windows XP)... go away, come back, all of a sudden I get these pop-ups telling me about a virus alert. Not to worried. Then I see that the virus protection happens to be Antivirus System Pro. Start to get a bit worried. This thing hijacks the computer within a few minutes. Disables the McAfee Security Center. I can't access the internet outside of their little "Buy now" website. Can't open Task Manager as I keep getting notifications of it being 'infected' and hence 'un-usable'. So now I realize I have to fix this manually. However before I delve deeper into it, I decide that maybe I can start in Windows Safemode, and still have a chance at an easy fix... Low and behold I restart and come across a screen that says this:

'We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully, a
recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was
automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known
Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or
the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the
problem, choose Start Windows Normally

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.'

The problem is, no matter which option I pick, it starts to list HKEY data, moves to another screen, and then comes back to the same screen above.

So basically I can't enter Windows.

So now I'm guessing I have to reinstall Windows XP?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really need to get this problem fixed within the next seven hours, otherwise I will have to face a very disapproving look on my friend's face. :thumbsup:

I'll be checking back on this thread every 30 minutes from now.

Thanks.

Edited by wiredandedgy, 29 November 2009 - 02:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users