Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to access data from an old HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rexbenefit

rexbenefit

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

Hi All,

I have a pair of Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD's from my old system that I was trying to access some of the data (music files). I bought a Thermaltake BlacX docking station and it will not allow me to access the drive without formatting. Is there a way I can access this old data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:55 AM

well, the easiest solution that comes to mind is does your current computer have an internal IDE connection? if so, just plug them into it. if your current man drive is IDE, just slave the old drive(s) into it, if its sata, then make sure the pin is set to master one one and slave on the other and the computer should do the rest. if not, well what you might try is plug in the docking station (I assume you already have the driver installed) when it asks you to format, say no, then go to my computer, right click the drive icon, and click explore, and see if that works. seems to me that that worked once for me on one hard drive in an external enclosure once.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rexbenefit

rexbenefit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:13 AM

I just tried going to My Computer/explore and it says I need to format the drive. I will look into the other way next. I think my current HDD may be IDE. It's a newer HP system.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:17 AM

depending how new it is, it may not most new systems have gone to SATA, and most premade dont even have an IDE connection. and some external enclosures do require you to reformat the drive, don't ask me why. another option is to simply dig up a dinosaur of a computer and put them into it and transfer everything via USB drive or home network. Just out of curiousity though, whats the jumper settings on the hard drives set to when you plugged the enclosure to the computer?

Edited by the_patriot09, 29 November 2009 - 02:17 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 rexbenefit

rexbenefit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:21 AM

I don't see a setting on these drives. There is no jumper in the 4 pins? They were set up in a RAID 0 configuration in the old system. EDIT: These drives do not require a jumper. Factory use only. I had a pair of them in RAID 0 configuration in the old system.

Edited by rexbenefit, 29 November 2009 - 03:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users