Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is wrong with my monitor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:43 AM

Just a minute ago, my monitor went black as if it was off. The green light flashed orange (on the monitor, not the computer) and then it was just off. I pushed the button and now it's one and seemingly fine.
Am I losing my monitor? I didn't lose any windows or information in the process so I'm guessing my monitor is the problem. It's not even that old. What gives?

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:22 AM

Could have been a power surge or a cable may have been loose. I wouldnt be concerned unless it continues happening

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Grinler. I will keep an eye on it. Sure hope it's not going out on me!

Grateful as always,
~67~

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:06 PM

I have had this mappen a few times. At first, it was just annoying, but it quickly turned into something that I needed to take care of. I am not sure which one actually did the trick, because I did all of them, before I turned the computer back on. You are right in thinking that it is likely the monitor, and not the computer.

-Low power on the circuit. I would find another outlet, if possible, to plug one component into. It wouldnt really matter if it is the monitor, printer, or even computer. Preferably on a different wall though. You may even want to invest into a battery back-up power supply (UPS). This has batteries that stay consistently charged up, and some have visual meters. The real purpose is for when the power completely goes off, but if you have small drains in the line, then it will pick up the slack, for as long as the batteries hold up.

-Change out your breaker, for that room. I did not personally do this, but my landlord replaced a 15 Amp with a 20 Amp.

-Turn off monitor, when not in use. You dont have to do this all the time, if you like your screen saver, but if you do this at least 2-3 times a week, you can look for some signs. If it takes 5-10 seconds longer then it usually does, then this is a sign of a power drain. The switch itself might be going bad, if it takes you a few attemps to keep the monitor on.

Again, I am not really sure which one of these actually did the trick, because I did all of them at one time.

If you think that the power switch is going bad, then you can purchase a switch. Go to your local electronics store, and tell them that you want to get a gang switch box (basically just an eletrical cord, with a switch on the end). This should not be more then $15-20, but make sure that you tell them that it is for a monitor (and specify the size), so that they can get one that will have enough amps. Installation is very easy, just unplug your monitor from the outlet, plug in the cord, and plug your monitor into the other end of the cord. From there, turn your monitor on first, then the switch. From then on, you can turn your monitor on and off, with a different switch. It is much cheaper then the $80-100 service charge it would be, to take it to a shop!
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users