Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Console and Autostreamer 1.0

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pounded clown

pounded clown

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

I cannot get into Windows normally or by any safe mode methods. I plan to use the Windows Reinstallation CD for Mircosoft Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 provided by Dell for my 1507 Inspirion Labtop to access the Recovery Console. I read that you may encounter a message that says the CD cannot be run because a newer version of XP is installed. If this does indeed come to pass I read that could I should slipstream the necessary Windows XP Service Pack(s) with the contents of my Windows XP Installation CD. If the aforementioned scenario occurs, since the computer in question is unable to open any vestige of the OS can I create this new slipstreamed cd on my Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop with XP Home from which I just wrote this forum entry? Will I encounter any issues if I put the reinstall cd from my Inspirion in the the cd player on my Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop? I know that AutoStreamer will create a temp folder to which it will copy the XP reinstall cd but i don't what to cause some unforseen catastrophe before Autostreamer has the chance to work.

Edited by pounded clown, 29 November 2009 - 03:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

The easiest way to resolve these kinds of questions...try it.

I have no idea what the contents of your software might be...or where you found instructions for slipstreaming a CD from such...but the general descriptions for slipstreaming CDs are written for users with Genuine XP CDs and access to the appropriate service packs and/or drivers that are to be included.

It doesn't matter at all on which system a slipstreamed CD is created on, since the files used to create the CD come from the XP CD and the downloaded SPs/drivers.

I've not used AutoStreamer, but I have used nLite and have some idea of how that works.

Life is full of chance from the day that you are born...try it and you'll know. OTOH, if I could not find any instance on the Web...where someone has accomplished what I want to do in the manner that I want to do it...I try to be prepared for failure/problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users