Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office2003 Prof.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ncbo

ncbo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

[FONT=Arial] :thumbsup:
Windows XP
Uninstalled trial version Office 2003 Standard Edition
Installed Office 2003 Professional
All working great.
Numerous viruses/spyware so had to do a system restore to previous date.
The date was long after the first standard edition was deleted.
In add/remove programs, looks like standard edition is still on computer with 490MB or so. Can't remove, won't let me. Always looking for some file and stops.

Any of the applications will cause the installer to open as well looking for a specific file in cache. Can't find this file anywhere. If you cancel, the application just closes out.

Un-installed program and reinstalled. Same problem.
My computer seems cleaned enough.
Any ideas on where to go from here?
Thanks!

Edited by ncbo, 10 August 2005 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neochivers

neochivers

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:43 PM

im im confuzzed, have you stuck in the office CD and clicked install?
"If anything goes wrong blame it on the guy who cant speak english" : Homer Simpson

#3 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2005 - 02:02 AM

what i see is you started with office 2003 standard trial. obviously the trial ran out or you decided to purcahse the professional version. Did you delete the Microsoft Office folder from the program file. I do. Just that when you un-inistall programs they usually leave the empty folder on your drive. Anyway, you installed you pro version and was working wonders. Did you have the viruses before or after the instalation of office pro? Anyway Office 2003 Professional Complete imstall uses 637mb disc space as it says in add/remove programs, my version has Word, Excel, Publisher, Access, InfoPath, Outlook, PowerPoint. Some versions include FrontPage, unless you have a 2 disc version. i have 1 disc. So you had your viruses etc. you restored your computer back to an ealier time. now you office applications won't work because the installation has been removed but is still there. But the trial version would now be showing up.

now that was to clear thing up for myself.

1. System restore doesn't take viruses, trogans out of your system.
Obviously because you had a trial versional of office i think its' confused your system from the newer installation of the pro. have you tried detect and repair - if you can't access it from the Help menu from any app. insert your disc (as long as it's a purchased copy) and do it that way.

2.There for i suggest you get HiJackThis and have it scan your system and then save the log then open it in NotePad and copy and paist the contents into the hihackthis annylise forum. Have you scanned your system with your antivirus program? if you don't have one you shouls get one. Good free alternative is AdAware Se Personal.

Edited by Izzy, 01 October 2005 - 02:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users