Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista recovery, 73 updates, stuck on welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

Dell 1501 did a system recovery, after it showed 73 updates downloaded and installed, restarted and now its been stuck at welcome screen for an hour.
I shut it off and rebooted in safe mode with no issue.
shut down and rebooted normally, and it still stuck at welcome screen( icon is animated).

Did i hose this by shutting it down?
Should i just do a complete recovery again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

going on 2.5 hours of "welcome" ...
If it hasn't resolved in another hour or so, i am going to do a second recover, and start over.

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:28 AM

going on 2.5 hours of "welcome" ...
If it hasn't resolved in another hour or so, i am going to do a second recover, and start over.

Do you have sp2? service pack 2 may help. that's too many updates. Remember to get the service packs, they are important. Good Luck
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

Did a complete recovery again. this time i flashed the bios prior to installing updates.( battery issue with dells fixed by this) .
63 updates shown installed and rebooted fine. then severla small 2 and 3 item installs.
But it doesn't show SP2 in the properties of the system... its doing a final update i said it needed right now and is in the process of shutting down. (hanging a bit fingers crossed.)
EDIT:
Restarted, everything seems in order for now.

Edited by BNDAZ, 29 November 2009 - 03:38 PM.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

hi,,,, you will have to install all relevant updates before sp2 is offered,,,, a quicker way for next time (hopefully not eh) is to manual install sp1 from the microsoft site,,, i think its around 450 to 550gb once this is installed then allow updates to look for more then it will install the odd couple then offer sp2 :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

restarted, all it is showing now are 13 optional updates, generic for vista and a media player update.
I still dont see SP2 listed anywhere, on the machine or by viewing "installed" updates.

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

hi,,,, be patient,,,, as i stated,, once all the relevant updates are in place, sp2 will be offered,,,, also if vista isworking fine then there's nothing to worry about,,,, unless your updating to windows 7,,, then you need sp2,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users