Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows media player stopped showing video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cyberski

cyberski

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

The computer: Gateway desktop - vista home premium - WMP 11

Over the past couple days my computer stopped playing any videos in windows media player. It's always played any/all types of video files (wmv,mpg, etc..) just fine up until a couple days ago when the video stopped showing. The audio plays just fine, just no video. It doesn't matter what the video format is, and the files also play OK in winamp and/or nero showtime.
I've updated to the most recent k-lite codec packs and that didn't help. I've tried to download and re-install WMP 11 but MS recognizes that I already have the most recent player.
I've tried going into Tools -> Options, Performance tab and changing the video
acceleration down to see if that helped, but no such luck

Is there some way of running a repair to it? I dug around some but haven't found anything anywhere on my machine that allows me to do anything to wmp.

Also, I'm holding off upgrading to windows 7 on this machine until this issue is resolved, but do ya suppose it may get fixed during the upgrade if I went ahead with it?

Thanks...
Jim

s522Dck.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Doesn't seem to be possible to uninstall WMP 11 in Vista.

Do you have a restore point to roll back to.

You could try posting in the Windows Vista forum.

If you look in the Windows 7 forum, the general consensus seems to be that a complete install of Windows 7
is preferable to any kind of 'upgrade'.

#3 cyberski

cyberski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Restore points didn't help.

As far as going to W7, i'm not sure what approach i'll be using. I got the "free" W7 upgrade when I got my desktop in early July

s522Dck.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users