Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS trouble!! Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jbraap

jbraap

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

Ok, I'll try to keep this as short and simple as possible.....My laptop in trouble is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S265. The operating system is gone off the hard drive and I need to put one back on. The problems I am facing are that the CD drive is inop and my BIOS does not support booting from USB. I have the original CD's that came with the computer though. The computer is an IDE hard drive, and I have an old external hard drive that is IDE as well. Is there any way to put the hard drive from my laptop into the casing for the external and get the OS back onto it using another computer and the CD's? If so, how would I go about doing it? If not, what other options do I have? Thanks in advance!

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

windows install looks at the hardware (ie motherboard) that it is being installed on, so just jamming a windows install from one computer into another machine usually will not work. unless you use another Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 and still there is no guarantee.

is network boot an option in BIOS ?

try connecting an external cd drive, even if it is USB, the bios may recognize it as a cd drive

#3 jbraap

jbraap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:38 AM

caperdog,

I'm not sure if network boot is an option or not, the options are as follows:

HDD->FDD->LAN->CD-ROM

I have an external CD drive, so I will try that and let you know what it does.

So I can't just load up the hard drive through another computer like it's a bootable USB and then put it back in my laptop and have it load first and run like a boot disc or usb? (if that makes sense!)

Thanks,
Joe

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

<<The operating system is gone off the hard drive...>>

Hmmm...how did you come to that conclusion? Operating systems do not normally disappear unless they have been formatted over or the hard drive is defective.

Louis

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

Louis has brought up a good point as i was wondering myself what actually happened here. if the hard drive is at fault you still need a way to boot to run hard drive diagnostics.

there is a way with the hard drive which involves only copying the setup files to drive (involves dos switches to stop the install at that point) then switch the hard drive to other machine to complete the install. this method is not for the faint at heart.

the LAN option would be the network boot. you have to share a cd drive on your network, put the install cd in there, and then point to that as the boot device.

#6 jbraap

jbraap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

The hard drive was erased and formatted over, the computer started acting up on me....i kept getting the blue screen of death, then it wouldn't even boot up, kept giving me the error message that my startup file was missing. A buddy reformatted the hard drive and tried to install the OS again for me, but couldn't figure out a way to do it given the situation with no cd drive or boot from usb.

I tried the external cd drive idea, but no luck.

I will try the network idea today. I have to make a network first, as I do not have one right now. Does it have to be a hard wired network or will a wireless one work? How do I get the bad computer on the network? I might need some help on how to do this as well if i cant get it figured out.

Thanks again.

Joe

Edited by jbraap, 29 November 2009 - 01:13 PM.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

been reading up on network boot and that is not a simple procedure either. if i were you i would unplug the dvd drive from the motherboard and plug in a working drive to get the install done. this i believe is the simplest solution.
you should also download hard drive manufacturers diagnostic disk and boot from the floppy to test the hard drive.

another radical solution would be to remove the hard drive and using another computer make an extra small partition where you can copy the cd contents to. put it back in the laptop and boot from a floppy (win98 boot disk will work). navigate to the first cd and run the setup program(assuming these are recovery disks).
if it is a windows xp install cd, then after you boot from the win98 boot disk run smartdrive ( type smartdrv at the command prompt and press enter). navigate to the i386 folder and run winnt. this will start the setup program. be patient as there will be nothing happening on the screen until setup files are copied. you should be able to hear hard drive working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users