Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant load XP SP3 after repair from disc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gtbfl

gtbfl

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

I recently picked up a browser redirect virus that also prevented me from opening windows in safe mode. I ran numerous anti virus programs on it with no luck. I then updated numerous security patches from Microsoft but the installs would not complete and after I shut down the computer it would not boot in any mode.

I had to do a repair from the original disc (XP professional media edition) which got me up and running in all modes at the Service Pack 2 level. The browser redirect problem is no longer evident.

I have been trying to install service pack 3 with no success. It seems to download OK but blows up at the "Running Processes After Install" level. I tried the various fixes suggested at microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718), including running a batch file that renamed the download folder but same result. In looking at the svcpack.log , it seems to stop at :

1220.687: Starting process: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\ToGac.exe C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Microsoft.Vsa.Vb.CodeDOMProcessor.dll
1220.812: Return Code = 1
1220.812: ExConditionalRunInfProcesses: Error 0x1 while running processes in section 'ToGac.RunProcess.ProcessesToRun.'

My thinking is that some updates that i got under SP3 prior to my melt down may be conflicting with my current SP2 . I dont see Microsoft.NET Framework running as a service (maybe dont know what to look for) but I have Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed on my programs list.

Any direction on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

I would uninstall every item for MS.NET in Add/Remove Programs...in inverse order (most recent first).

Then I would install MS.NET 3.5, SP1.

Then try installing SP3.

Louis

#3 gtbfl

gtbfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Hamluis,

I see you have done this before. I am not really sure what MS.net Framework does and have had so many download problems getting back to my current state , I am a little gun shy. Do you know what functionality I might lose if I can't get MS.net Framework back up ? I can't see on the microsoft site that there are any restrictions to Installing MS.net Framework 3.5 SP1 on XP Service Pack 2 . Sorry to be such a wus. What do you think would happen if I just deleted the MS.net Framework(s) and tried to apply SP3 then added MS.net Framework 3.5 SP1 after ?

Thks

Edited by gtbfl, 29 November 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

Think of MS.NET...in the same manner that you think of IE...with the key difference being that MS.NET pretty much works in the background.

It's a key component of Windows, but every system does not have to utilize it.

Generally, if you have a program installed that asks that you install MS.NET...then you need to have it installed. Once it is installed, you need the applicable critical updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en should be installed, after uninstalling all other versions of MS.NET.

Microsoft goes to great pains to try to explain their products/developments...I can't do a better job of it than they can :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 gtbfl

gtbfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

Dear Hamluis, :thumbsup:

You are my new best friend.

Deleted the MS.Net files and ran the XP SP3 which ran to completion. Then installed MS.NET 3.5, SP1. and the patches.

Personally I find microsoft descriptions to be pretty cryptic. Your 3 sentence explanation gave me the confidence to think nothing too bad would probably happen whereas I still cant figure out what they were saying on that MS.NET 3.5, SP1 link.

My sincere thanks for taking the time to help me out. It may not have been a big deal to you but I assure you it is big deal to me. The Microsoft FAQ for instalation had an almost identical situation to mine and was left with no resoution from a few years ago ( the guy was eventually forced to do a clean install). I will try to update that thread with the resolution by linking to this post.

Thanks again

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

LOL, glad you solved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users