Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got a virus from downloading a "song"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Camron23

Camron23

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for taking time out to try and help me!

First off, I'm running windows XP on a laptop. This is what happened. I was trying to download a song by searching for it on google. I found the song and proceeded to click on the website that had the torrent available for download but I knew something fishy was up when it was only a couple of KBs rather than a few MBs. This is the EXACT link I clicked on and then went to download. (This link won't give you the virus, just don't click download unless you can get rid of it!)

hxxp://www.torrentportal.com/details/3604578/T.I.+-+I+Know+You+Miss+Me.mp3.html

Ever since I downloaded that file, I started getting antivirus system pro alerts saying im being infiltrated and pop ups for random sites. I tried opening up task manager but it seems the virus is blocking it and the error msg says "Application cannot be executed. The file taskmgr.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" I always click no.

It does the same thing for any other application I try to open such as attempting to do an MSconfig under the run application. I can use Mozilla but can't get on to internet explorer. I've tried rolling back with a system restore but it says it was turned off and there are no system restore points :thumbsup:

I deleted the file but still have no luck. Unfortunately, it did it's damage. I think it may have gone into my registry but I have no clue how to clean that stuff so I didn't want to mess with it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated and any other details/info I could provide, please let me know and I will!

THANKS!!!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 November 2009 - 07:32 PM.
Deactivated link. Move from XP to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Hello and welcome. Please try these.

Run RKill....

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Next run SAS below. If MBAM did not run then run RKill again and immediately follow with SAS.
Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Thanks very much! I will try that right now and get back to you asap

#4 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

I ran every link you sent me for rkill and it came on for a split second before it closed down with a pop up saying the same thing as before.

"Application cannot be executed. The file rkill.pif is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?"

I then tried to run TFC and the same message popped up this time not even allowing it to run for a second.

This virus is not allowing me to run anything...

Edited by Camron23, 28 November 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#5 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

OK so I was able to get into the Diagnostic startup under MSconfig and was able to successfully run rkill and TFC.

As for the Malware bytes, I can't do that since I am not connected to the internet. I can't bring up a webpage. What should I do from here?

#6 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2775
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

11/28/2009 7:53:05 PM
mbam-log-2009-11-28 (19-53-05).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|O:\|P:\|S:\|)
Objects scanned: 152676
Time elapsed: 28 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AvScan (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#7 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Just wanted to say that I was able to perform everything you told me to do and everything looks fine! The last app removed 180 suspicious items and it cleaned out the registry! Thank you very much!!!!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hello sounds good . Would you please post the last MBAM log so I can seif other tools are needed/ Also You need an update.
Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

I am sorry it took me so long to reply back! It appears I have an infected file in my system32 drivers by the name of atapi.sys.

I will run MBAM and post the logs momentarily

EDIT: When I ran the update, I got hit with an error message that read:

"An error occurred. Please report the following code to the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware support team.

Error code: 732 (0,0)"

EDIT #2: I've ran MBAM again and here is the log:

12/16/2009 6:19:20 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-16 (18-19-20).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 112135
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 12 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I am going to now reboot my computer and wait for your assistance.

Edited by Camron23, 16 December 2009 - 09:23 PM.

#10 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Just wanted to add that as I was sitting here and working on my desktop, my laptop (the one that is infected), popped up with a virus that was found. It was found by my Symantec auto protect feature and said the name of the file that was found is A0000001.sys and it was a Backdoor.Tidserv!inf.

I did nothing to my laptop and it was just sitting on the desktop after a clean reboot.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:23 PM

Hi since we were here last MBAm upgraded their engine to1.42 so we should run again.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FULL scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

A0000001.sys is Backdoor.Tidserv!infa dangerous rootkit.

Rootkits, backdoor Trojans, Botnets, and IRC Bots are very dangerous because they compromise system integrity by making changes that allow it to by used by the attacker for malicious purposes. Rootkits are used by Trojans to conceal its presence (hide from view) in order to prevent detection of an attacker's software and make removal more difficult. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. They can disable your anti-virus and security tools to prevent detection and removal. Remote attackers use backdoors as a means of accessing and taking control of a computer that bypasses security mechanisms. This type of exploit allows them to steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which is send back to the hacker. To learn more about these types of infections, you can refer to:

What danger is presented by rootkits?
Rootkits and how to combat them
r00tkit Analysis: What Is A Rootkit

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should disconnect from the Internet until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised and change each password using a clean computer, not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connect again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
What Should I Do If I've Become A Victim Of Identity Theft?
Identity Theft Victims Guide - What to do

Although the infection has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume the computer is secure even if the malware appears to have been removed. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired so you can never be sure that you have completely removed a rootkit. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Tools that claim to be able to remove rootkits cannot guarantee that all traces of it will be removed. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?
Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?
Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is another hidden piece of malware which has not been detected by your security tools that protects malicious files and registry keys (which have been detected) so they cannot be permanently deleted. Disinfection will probably require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS/HijackThis log for further investigation. Let me know how you wish to proceed.

#12 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

Ouch that's harsh. I would like to continue on with the removal process with your advice, if you don't mind, before wiping the drive.

I will run the MBAM again the full scan this time and post the logs. Thank you very much for your time

Edited by Camron23, 16 December 2009 - 10:34 PM.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

OK, after MBAm..

Run TFC and SAS ..may need to run RKill again if you had to reboot after MBAM.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

NEXT I want to see if UAC shows.
We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

#14 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

Thanks very much! I will most likely be unable to get back on this site for the rest of the night so please be on the lookout for my update by the morning. Once again, thank you soooo much for your help.

#15 Camron23

Camron23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

I was unable to get an update due to the same error but the full scan of MBAM completed successfully. Here is the log:

12/17/2009 1:37:27 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-17 (13-37-27).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|O:\|S:\|)
Objects scanned: 171009
Time elapsed: 57 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I will work on the rest of what you suggested and update you asap.

EDIT: Next, I updated the definitions manually for SAS and was able to do so successfully. Then, upon my attempt to restart the system in safe mode using the F8 method, my computer would not boot up in safe mode. It would just say that an error occurred and goes back to the same thing saying how do I want to start up windows. Each time I try safe mode, it will not let me. Where should I go from here?

EDIT #2: Here is the RootRepeal log. Please keep in mind that this was not run in safe mode, instead in normal mode.

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
==================================================
Scan Start Time: 2009/12/17 14:23
Program Version: Version 1.3.5.0
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
==================================================

Drivers
-------------------
Name: rootrepeal.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rootrepeal.sys
Address: 0x97878000 Size: 49152 File Visible: No Signed: -

SSDT
-------------------
#: 012 Function Name: NtAlertResumeThread

#: 013 Function Name: NtAlertThread

#: 017 Function Name: NtAllocateVirtualMemory

#: 031 Function Name: NtConnectPort

#: 043 Function Name: NtCreateMutant

#: 053 Function Name: NtCreateThread

#: 065 Function Name: NtDeleteValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\Program Files\Symantec\SYMEVENT.SYS" at address 0xa3990350

#: 083 Function Name: NtFreeVirtualMemory

#: 089 Function Name: NtImpersonateAnonymousToken

#: 091 Function Name: NtImpersonateThread

#: 108 Function Name: NtMapViewOfSection

#: 114 Function Name: NtOpenEvent

#: 123 Function Name: NtOpenProcessToken

#: 129 Function Name: NtOpenThreadToken

#: 177 Function Name: NtQueryValueKey

#: 206 Function Name: NtResumeThread

#: 213 Function Name: NtSetContextThread

#: 228 Function Name: NtSetInformationProcess

#: 229 Function Name: NtSetInformationThread

#: 247 Function Name: NtSetValueKey
Status: Hooked by "C:\Program Files\Symantec\SYMEVENT.SYS" at address 0xa3990580

#: 253 Function Name: NtSuspendProcess

#: 254 Function Name: NtSuspendThread

#: 257 Function Name: NtTerminateProcess

#: 258 Function Name: NtTerminateThread

#: 267 Function Name: NtUnmapViewOfSection

#: 277 Function Name: NtWriteVirtualMemory

==EOF==

Edited by Camron23, 17 December 2009 - 05:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users