Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ksod-"Black Screen Of Death"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 texasjack210

texasjack210

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hi and thank you for reading this.
I have the Ksod. I am running Windows Vista home basic sp2. When i attempt to boot up. I get the black screen and mouse pointer and there it stays. However I AM able to boot up in Safe Mode W/ Networking. I have attempted many remedies. Ive tried sfc/scannow i have ran Several malware and anti virus software programs and everything is fine ,tried system restore,tried roll back, tried start up repair,ran memory diagnostic, ive seen some variety of solutions online but they all lead to the same result. which is everything is fine but its not! I cant see my desktop!! and its not the monitor .
I do have the windows reinstallation dvd of windows home basic 32 bit. I havent attempted reinstall and have called a few techs for price quotes for hire. I have more than a general knowledge of computers and have resolved smaller issues before ...However im baffled by this and really could use your support and guidance. please assist if you can and Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:35 AM

hi,,,,as you say you can get into safe mode,, take a look in event viewer to see if there's any info in there,,,, also look at updates and see if there were updates around the time of this happening,,,, what were you doing around the time of this starting to happen,,, was some new software or hardware installed,,, also take a look in anything to give us a clue reliability and performance monitor,, reliability monitor,,,, any clue as to where to look,,, also open system,,,,, press win key+pause click on performance click on advanced tools and click on generate system health report,,, i dont know if this works in safe mode but give it a try,,,, see if any of this will shed light on why this has started to happen,,,
i hope your all backed up as this could end up in a clean install,,,, if you are then it could be quicker and easier to do a clean install anyway,,,,,
please report back anyhing you find :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:57 AM

hi,, me again,,,, im finding a few supposed cures for this, there are probably a number of reasons for this and to try every fix is a bit hit and miss,,,, here are a couple,,, one is to delete all the event viewer logs ?? dont do this one until you have looked in there for clues,,, here are a couple of links, it seems most of this in done in the command prompt
http://www.logicitc.com/blog/?p=102
http://www.nuonsoft.com/blog/2009/05/02/po...-windows-vista/
also this one which i was going to suggest you do in my first post :huh:
open the msconfig and Uncheck the two items in selective startup and set it to normal and reboot,,, see if this gets it,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 texasjack210

texasjack210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

Well after searching the net and trying all sorts of "formulas" for this issue I conceded to the ksod and reinstalled Vista. I didnt perform a back up prior to this issue so i lost everything. Now the computer is "healed" and im no longer running in safe mode w/ networking. Now the task of reinstalling software i had before (the good ones) and re-setting my links etc...... was sort of fun trying to solve this problem but could no longer afford the headache!...good luck out there if you have this black screen of death i had to reinstall vista to make everything work again. and thank you FIGGIS I appreciate your advice....take care everyone...I hope i may never have to come back here...but, well ya know!

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

Have you read this topic? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/275414/black-screen-of-death-affects-windows-7-vista-xp-nt-w2k-w2k3-or-w2k8-pc/

Many versions of Windows are affected by an update causing them to have black screen of death. PrevX has issued a fix for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users