Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovered Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

Custom built system on which 2 recovered Vista operating systems are installed, one of which I have forgotten the system log on password.

I want to upgrade to Windows 7, I already have the upgrade CD, as well the original Vista installation CD.

All existing hard drives (4) will be replaced with WD 500 GB units, I may do a RAID, not sure of which type yet
How do I go about differentiating between the 2 installed systems on my present drive?
I wish to eliminate the one that I have forgotten the password, and keep the other and upgrade to 7 onto it.

I do have access to Norton Ghost, as well an external hard drive enclosure of which I have installed one of the new WD drives

Would it be easier to just re-install Vista from scratch and them upgrade to 7? Would this not involve the lengthy task of downloading all Vista's patches and updates again? Not to mention other programs....

Hope this makes sense, I just need advice on the easiest and safest way to do this

Thanks in Advance !
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Would it be easier to just re-install Vista from scratch and them upgrade to 7

To avoid any problems, that is what I would do

Upgrades are always troublesome
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

Somewhere you lost me, do what?
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

hi,,,, i think Mark is recommending you clean install vista onto the drive you intend using,,,, then manual download the full sp1 from microsofts site to save time,,, and then let windows updator do the rest untill sp2 is installed,,, once all up to date, then do a mirror image of the drive with a fully updated vista os,,, and then install windows 7,,,, if all goes pete tong (wrong) format the drive and reinstall the mirror image you did of a fully updated vista,,,, something like that i think :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

hi,,,, i think Mark is recommending you clean install vista onto the drive you intend using,,,, then manual download the full sp1 from microsofts site to save time,,, and then let windows updator do the rest untill sp2 is installed,,, once all up to date, then do a mirror image of the drive with a fully updated vista os,,, and then install windows 7,,,, if all goes pete tong (wrong) format the drive and reinstall the mirror image you did of a fully updated vista,,,, something like that i think :huh:

Still dumbfounded here, I can understand you recommendation but how did you deduce that from his reply?
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:03 AM

im telepathic. :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii