Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying a system disk under Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ehbowen

ehbowen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

I'm attempting to keep our church secretary's computer going for a few more years until the church can swing a replacement. The machine is about 10 years old with a 500 MHz Pentium processor and 384 megs of RAM (most that the motherboard will support). I installed a network card and configured it for DSL internet access, upgraded the original Windows 98 to XP (Home), and installed a somewhat more modern video card and a wide-screen monitor. All of those upgrades were successful and our secretary is very happy; however she now has only about 1.5 gigs free on her original 20 gig hard drive. I purchased a new 160 GB EIDE drive and installed it, but an attempt to copy the system over from the old drive to the new drive using Norton Ghost 12.0 failed. The drive is mounted and the OS recognizes it, but I would really like to be able to migrate the OS over to the new drive so we can stop using the old one altogether. Does anyone have any suggestions for making the switch work the next time around?

One other asset I should mention: I did purchase a USB external HD to hold system backups, and Ghost appears to be working properly in that regard. I just need to be able to successfully move that OS and things should be good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ehbowen

ehbowen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

A thought just crossed my mind: With low-end motherboards so cheap, would it be worthwhile to perform a "heart transplant" and put in a new mobo, RAM and CPU? If so, would I have to buy a new OS or would it be possible to move the software over to the new processor unchanged? I've built two systems from scratch, but I've never tried a major upgrade of an existing system. What are the pitfalls?

#3 ehbowen

ehbowen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Bumping....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users