Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kahuna555

Kahuna555

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

So, there is something wrong with my video card, and I'm trying to figure out if it is a hardware issue. I am fairly certain that it is, but I thought I would seek some advice. For a while, I have been periodically getting a blue screen with the following message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA800433F010,0xFFFFFA60024106A0,0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002)

*** nvlddmkm.sys Address FFFFFA60024106A0 base at FFFFFA6002408000, DateStamp 473ca863

Collecting data for crash dump
Initializing disk for crash dump
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 85"

No matter what I am doing with my computer, every now and then everything will get choppy, then the video will freeze, and the audio will get stuck in an infinite loop, and the computer will shut off and re-start (and sometimes the blue screen error message will come up, but not always). So, at this point, it works every now and then, but sometimes it doesn't.

Now, here are some of my observations:

* When I start up my computer, sometimes while it is booting, random vertical, white, dashed lines appear and disappear.
* Sometimes when it gets to the part of the boot process where it stops working, rather than re-starting, it simply freezes, and some kind of horizontal, colored, dashed lines appear.
* Every now and then, something very strange happens. Sometimes when I boot up my computer, there will be a white horizontal line just below the middle of the screen, and the display will be doubled. In other words, my whole display will appear above the line, squished down to fit in the smaller space, and then also, as much as would fit would appear below the line, also squished down very small.
* I tried re-setting my BIOS settings just in case that could possibly have anything to do with it, but it didn't help.

Here are the specs of my computer:

* I have a Gateway P-173X Fx-edition (laptop).
* My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS
* The current driver that I am using for my graphics card is version 7.15.11.6746

Anyone able to help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/08/21/nvi...tands-bumpgate/

Long story short, get in touch with Gateway and see if they will cover the problem. It's a common problem with those chipsets and NVidia will be picking up the tab.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Kahuna555

Kahuna555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:09 AM

Ok, thank you. I have been told this before, and that is what I am planning on doing now. I do have a question, though. What is likely to happen? Is gateway just going to replace my video card with the same kind of deffective one, and just wait till my warrantly runs out, or will they actually give me a good product?

#4 Kahuna555

Kahuna555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:11 AM

Also, I have already talked to Gateway, and I think I finally have them convinced that it is a hardware issue, and that I don't just need to re-install Windows to fix the problem (which I have tried several times). Would showing them the contents of this blue screen message help convince them more that it is indeed a hardware issue?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

I believe that error is a Windows 7 STOP error...you might try the Win 7 forum for STOP 116 error message.

Louis

#6 Kahuna555

Kahuna555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

That would be very strange, because I have Vista on my computer.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

Well...just guessing...but I would not be surprised if Vista and Win 7 have similar types of errors, at this point.

If you do a search using Google, you will see what I mean, I think.

In any case...the appropriate O.S forum for the STOP errors...would be my approach.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users