Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:41 PM
So, there is something wrong with my video card, and I'm trying to figure out if it is a hardware issue. I am fairly certain that it is, but I thought I would seek some advice. For a while, I have been periodically getting a blue screen with the following message:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA800433F010,0xFFFFFA60024106A0,0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002)
*** nvlddmkm.sys – Address FFFFFA60024106A0 base at FFFFFA6002408000, DateStamp 473ca863
Collecting data for crash dump …
Initializing disk for crash dump …
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 85"
No matter what I am doing with my computer, every now and then everything will get choppy, then the video will freeze, and the audio will get stuck in an infinite loop, and the computer will shut off and re-start (and sometimes the blue screen error message will come up, but not always). So, at this point, it works every now and then, but sometimes it doesn't.
Now, here are some of my observations:
* When I start up my computer, sometimes while it is booting, random vertical, white, dashed lines appear and disappear.
* Sometimes when it gets to the part of the boot process where it stops working, rather than re-starting, it simply freezes, and some kind of horizontal, colored, dashed lines appear.
* Every now and then, something very strange happens. Sometimes when I boot up my computer, there will be a white horizontal line just below the middle of the screen, and the display will be doubled. In other words, my whole display will appear above the line, squished down to fit in the smaller space, and then also, as much as would fit would appear below the line, also squished down very small.
* I tried re-setting my BIOS settings just in case that could possibly have anything to do with it, but it didn't help.
Here are the specs of my computer:
* I have a Gateway P-173X Fx-edition (laptop).
* My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS
* The current driver that I am using for my graphics card is version 184.108.40.20646
Anyone able to help?