Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting temp files

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:31 AM

I came across how to do this in someones HJT thread. I have Win ME and was able to access my temp files w/ %temp% in run. Can I also delete all files found? There are seven folders in there also. And I thought that one shouldn't ever delete any folders. And doing this no way removes all traces of objects they are connected to, right?

Edited by scarlett, 16 September 2004 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:22 AM

Yes you shoujld be able to dewlete all files found in the temp directories

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:38 AM

You can delete the temporary files at any time, either by using disk cleanup or manually deleting them in the appropriate folder and subfolders. This does NOT, however, completely erase the contents.
You can also set IE to delete temporary files on exit---this keeps the number of files to a minimum.

I generally do a manual delete of all the empty files about once a month, since they tend to build up pretty fast for me.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:17 PM

Thanks a bunch, Guys! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:55 PM

O.K. I finally got around to deleting files in temp directory. Please let me make myself clear. I went to> Run> %temp%> Directory opened> I can delete all in there? I beg your forgiveness, for making you repeat the response. As I accidently deleted all My Pics. and My Docs. awhile back and I'm a little nervous. Before I proceed, I want to be absoulutly 100% sure. Thanks, Scarlett

Edited by scarlett, 25 September 2004 - 06:59 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 10:12 PM

Nevermind you all. I Googled for it. And found out some new info also. Under > Start> Search for Files or Folders> Type in this in >*.tmp,*.chk,~*.* > All Temp Files will be found. Then > Hit > CTRL + a > Which will highlight all of them. Then hit > Delete > If you have any programs running some may not delete. So close all running programs first. .........Question - Should or can one do this in Safe Mode? Just wondering. Also when Search is done click> File > Click> Save search Then put it where you choose. Then you will have the ability to do it again much easier. As the search term is a little tricky. It must be put in excactly as is. Copy and Paste is how I did it. They will be put in the Recycle Bin. If you have any doubts keep them there till you are sure. They can always be restored. I was able to get back around 60 or so MB's. Worth it ? I think so. Although I was hoping for more.

Edited by scarlett, 25 September 2004 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 11:11 PM

Maybe I spoke to soon. I just used Grinler's tip. And there are still several files left. Although none end w/ temp. Does anyone know if they can be deleted also?
Posted Image

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:01 AM

Without knowing the file extensions or where they were found on your HD,Scarlett, I would hesitate to recommend deleting them. If you are pressed for hd space, you might want to check for files with a zip extension. Many people will unzip files and then leave the original zip files on the HD.
Cheers,
John

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:27 AM

Really, I can delete all files w/ .zip extensions. Lets see. I searched for files or folders. Using .zip as the search term. Under> Look in Local Hard Drive... I use the program WinZip. So what you are saying that I can delete all that show? There are a couple I may not be confortable deleting. But how about the ones w/ >File Type>WinZip File?Thanks For All Your Help,Scarlett

Edited by scarlett, 28 September 2004 - 11:29 AM.

Posted Image

#10 delta dart

delta dart

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:11 AM

Scarlett
You can go to the web site below and download a small program that when installed will delete all cookies and temp files in the c:\windows folder. I have been using it for a year and it works great. The file when downloaded is a zip file and when unzipped will install a small batch file in the c:\ folder and an icon on the desk top. It comes with an uninstall program if you don't care for it later.

Go to My Webpage,click downloads & links, click compu-docs tempfiles.
Select the appropriate download.
Russ

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:26 PM

Three comments, scarlett:

I am assuming that any zipped files on your hard drive were unzipped and installed or otherwise used. Normally, when I download programs or applications that are zipped, I first copy these to disk, then unzip them on the hard drive and install them, and then immediately afterwards, erase (NOT delete) the original zip file.
If you have searched your HD for files with that extension, and are consistent with how you handle them, then after review, you can delete them; you could, if concerned, always copy to disk first.

I think using the disk cleanup utility is much easier and safer than going to RUN, etc. Using this application will not delete the folders in which the files are found.

Be wary of deleting ALL cookies. as some of them are very useful and contain log-on information that you may end up having to re-enter from memory at a later date; the amount of memory these take up individually is almost nothing, and they can save you a lot ot time.
Cheers,
John

#12 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:26 PM

I have a batch file that I use once a month that cleans them out. When you click this file in safe mode, then it will take care of all of it for you.

del c:\ *.tmp 
del %temp%\*.tmp /f 
del %windir%\prefetch\*.* 
del %windir%\temp\*.* /f

Here are the steps to make it a batch file:

• right-click on the desktop and select new->text document
  • right-click the file, and select edit
  • copy the code select into notepad
  • click File->Save as
  • rename the file with clean temp.bat, under File name
  • change the Save as Type to all files
  • Finally, click Save

This will automatically turn the text file into a batch file, and the icon will change to reflect this. When you want to run this (preferrably in Safe Mode, but at least have all of your browsers closed), then just double-click the batch icon, and it will run automatically. It will even by-pass the trash can.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:31 PM

JE I do not have the choice> New text doc. I used> New Word Pad Doc. I do not have the choice> Edit I used >Rename I did the rest of the steps, and it did not change the Icon What did I do wrong? I'm confused.

Edited by scarlett, 15 October 2004 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image

#14 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:48 PM

Using Word Pad instead of notepad should be ok.

You cant right-click the file to edit it?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:14 PM

No JE I do not have the choice..Edit Just Rename BTW Thanks for your help. ......EDIT: I did it! I'm off and running! TYVM! It some how went into My Docs. I sent it to my Desktop and Voila! :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 16 October 2004 - 07:45 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users