Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot loop / Need Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kaisp

kaisp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:39 PM

I wish my searches brought me to this site before I did what I did -- now my eMachines desktop is caught in a reboot loop, not rebooting in any of the safe mode/standard/last good config options -- just getting to the "e" logo, restarting and starting over again.

Mine was originally running slow too, hardrive always sounding like it was on a high motor, sometimes taking 8 minutes or more just for Internet Explorer to open.

Before doing anything to fix it, I wanted to back up all the pictures, videos, music and personal/business files we've stockpiled. So a couple weeks ago I hooked up a Samsung Story external drive which did not accept any of the media, of course, as further punishment for waiting so long to do it. So I quit temporarily.

Then a few days ago, we starting getting a Remind_XP error and the Lexmark 4530 no longer recognized the PC when in scan mode. (Everything I saw online insisted they're related.) Simultaneously started getting a "Device Manager Needs to close" error. In attempting to fix these, I cleaned up the desktop then took advice from the other forums coming up in my search -- (1) ran CC Cleaner to clean registry, (2) went into msconfig and disabled Remind_XP and Lexmark thingies. Then I rebooted to reap the benefits, and now I'm caught in that loop

Since I can't afford $299.99 for GeekSquad, I'm seeking other help. I tried applying your Windows XP Recovery Console tutorial, but I don't have that option. XP came preloaded, and the only recovery tool they provided is their own eMachines version. I started it, got 25% through copying the current config, then read that it would reboot the factory version and that we would lose all our family pictures and my daughter's digital photography work, can't afford to do that.

So I've seen your success with this post and am hoping you can work some magic for me. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I'd be happy to reply with any additional info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

If your priority is saving data, you might try booting with a Linux Live CD
to see if you can still read the drive. If so, you can copy what you want,
onto a flash drive and work on fixing the drive afterwards.

A Linux disk should enable you to boot, without interference from Windows.

It's about a 700MB download of the ISO, which you need to burn to a CD.

(Ubuntu is a popular distribution and also Linux Mint).

Read all the info first, if you're dubious.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

or Google Ubuntu, if that's more familiar to you.

You're right, about this site - it's unlikely that anyone would ever recommend a registry cleaner.

Edited by petewills , 28 November 2009 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users