Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair XP and keep user profile?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hello, I currently want to repair windows on my laptop and keep my profile intact. Last time I repaired windows I had made an account different from my old one during setup. The old profile name was still under Documents and Settings but I couldn't use the profile. I don't just want to copy and paste the whole thing either because I want to keep my old programs installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

<<I currently want to repair windows on my laptop and keep my profile intact...>>

A repair install of XP, properly done with a Genuine XP CD and valid license...does not change profiles or the data/settings reflected by such.

Soooo...I would have to ask you the steps you took on your mentioned previous repair effort.

System manufacturer and model?

Recovery/restore CDs on hand?

Recovery/restore partition on system?

<<...I had made an account different from my old one during setup.>>

That sounds to me as if you created a new profile as the Owner/Administrator...which may not have been wise.

If the old profile still is reflected, I think I would try creating a new profile (now) ...and then moving the details of the old profile to the newly created one. In short, I would treat the old profile as if it is corrupted/damaged.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Nothing to lose but a small bit of time.

Louis

#3 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:58 AM

I currently use the Windows XP SP3 CD which is indeed genuine. I plan on using it on my Toshiba Satellite M115 and I'm not sure what you mean by recovery/restore partition on system. I know repairing only affects files Windows can replace, I still have all my files but I want the profile to be able to be selected also because I need some programs on it. I follow the exact steps from this link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsys...xprepair2_6.htm and I know the profile problem all can be dealt with in that step. I also have to put the correct user name of the computer or else even if I create a profile with the same name as the old one it will just put "User.NAMEOFCOMPUTER" so it'll act like a new profile.

#4 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

I currently use the Windows XP SP3 CD which is indeed genuine. I plan on using it on my Toshiba Satellite M115 and I'm not sure what you mean by recovery/restore partition on system. I know repairing only affects files Windows can replace, I still have all my files but I want the profile to be able to be selected also because I need some programs on it. I follow the exact steps from this link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsys...xprepair2_6.htm and I know the profile problem all can be dealt with in that step. I also have to put the correct user name of the computer or else even if I create a profile with the same name as the old one it will just put "User.NAMEOFCOMPUTER" so it'll act like a new profile.

And yes you were correct, I created a new profile as the Owner/Admin so the files for my programs were in the old folder but weren't installed. So when I make the new profile (now) I also create it as an admin right?

Edit: sorry for the double post, mustve hit post twice

Edited by snipersgethead, 28 November 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

LOL, don't worry about the double-posting thing, happens to me all the time when I hit Add Reply button twice :thumbsup:.

Yes, create a new profile with Admin privileges. There can be any number of these on a system.

I would just follow the Microsoft guidance...I've never had to do this on any of my systems, but it's their O/S and they ought to know what they are talking about.

Louis

#6 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Thanks hamiluis for the help! Luckily and fortunately this time it didn't ask me to name the computer/make new profiles, it kept it completely intact! So all my programs are installed and my computer is running like a stallion being free of viruses. All without having to delete anything.

There was one thing, it asked for a file called mcdftreg which I later found out was an issue with a lot of people and usually had to be located manually. I on the other hand just clicked cancel and the installation continued as normal. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the behind.

Really wonder why on my desktop it asked to create new profiles but on my laptop it didn't.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

<<Really wonder why on my desktop it asked to create new profiles but on my laptop it didn't.>>

Just speculation...maybe you also changed the System Name, which triggered the request...I really don't know.

The file mentioned, mcdftreg.inf, appears to be a file unique to MCE installs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users