Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB problems? Computer won't start until I remove all usb plugs.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

For the past several days, my usb wireless network adapter's connection has been flaky. It disconnected from the network randomly and couldn't reconnect until I removed it from the device manager, rebooted and reinstalled it. If I plugged in a new usb device it would immediatly disconnect.

Also, for several months when I plug in a backup external harddrive I lose the connection to the network and I cannot see the harddrive.

Yesterday, I turned off the computer and then it would not restart. No response at the power button but the little thingy for my wireless keyboard and mouse was blinking all three lites and my blackberry was still charging so I know there was power to usb.

I found that if I unplugged all usb devices the computer will boot up fine.

I'm up and running now because I booted up with only the monitor attached then plugged in the keyboard/mouse and network adapter.

What next?
Thanks in advance! Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

IMO, a PCI USB 2.0 card, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-010-_-Product.

You might also try uninstalling all USB controllers and then rebooting, if you don't want to spring for a USB 2.0 card.

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575. Scroll down to Remove and Reinstall...

Louis

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

You may not have a choice but to spring for a new USB card. I have seen this issue before, and it pointed to faulty on-board USB points. Adding in a seperate USB card fixed the issue when I encountered it. Of course, each situation is different, but that is just what I have seen in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users