Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Comodo Firewall Configuration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ghalt

Ghalt

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

Based on the reviews on this forum, I've switched from ZoneAlarm to Comodo.

I think my Firefox on Vista was having trouble with ZA.

Also, I'm tired of all the popups.

So I got Comodo, and set it up with Proactive Defense Plus.

I figured that the popups would come, I'd close them, and they wouldn't ever popup again.

But it seems that upon reboot it looses track of all the ones I've approved, and asks me all over again.

I want good protection, and don't mind an occasional popup, but is there an optimal setup for that?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

It sounds as if the box to remember your action may not have been ticked when you answered the pop-ups.

Proactive is the best configuration if you don't mind a few queries. That would catch everything.
James

#3 Ghalt

Ghalt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

I did have the 'Remember' box checked. That's what was so discouraging about it.

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

You could look in the Defense+ and Firewall Security policies to see if the rules have been made, otherwise you could maybe post in the Comodo forum, as I have not seen this behaviour in the 3 years I have used it.
James

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

Can't understand that. Are you running the latest version Comodo CIS v3.13.121240.574?. I installed it when it came out last week upgrading from the previous version and haven't hardly had a pop up that hasn't had an easily explained answer and have never had a problem with it not remembering. When you reboot after install, right click on task bar icon and choose Pro-Active security. Then in the Firewall>Advanced>Network Security policy set IE, Firefox, other to treat as Browser. Set any Security Devices you trust like SAS, MBAM etc to Trusted Applications, set System and Svchost to Outgoing Only leave the rest on the default Custom. Make sure that the checkbox for remember is ticked in the first pop up box you get. When you are Installing / Uninstalling programs make sure you choose Treat as Installer Updater and choose the Installation mode. remember once a week or so to click on the Purge button in Firewall and Defence Plus this will unload left overs from no longer installed / updated programs and keep it nice and tidy. Other than that if you want more advanced protection go to the Comodo CIS forum and install the recommendations in Kyles Guides in the Guides section.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users