Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Shambaugh

Dave Shambaugh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:13 AM

Can anyone list the step by step instructions on setting up Printer Sharing on a Home Network? I have done it before but I'm having trouble doing it again. This network has 2 Laptops and 3 Desktops. and are running a mixture of XP and Vista. One of the Desktops has 2 Printers installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Share Your Printer Over a Home Network Using Windows XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...cutt_july2.mspx

Step By Step Share a Printer on Your Home Network - http://lifehacker.com/software/step-by-ste...work-309015.php

Louis

#3 Dave Shambaugh

Dave Shambaugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

There is nothing wrong with my Network Connection, it is a Cable Connection and very quick and I can go anywhere on the WEB quickly except to your suggested WEB Sites that just show up as a blank white page which shows a connecting message in the upper left corner! I can leave it that way for hours and nothing changes!

kimbrala

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

Links work fine. Not sure why you are unable to connect.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:44 AM

The top link is microsoft.com and works fine for me.

That said,there are many situations where usb printers that work fine on xp will not work when shared to a vista or win7 machine. HP and many other printer makers did not re-write the drivers since you are not supposed to use your old working printer and not buy a new one when they force obsolescence.

The various workarounds work with some models but not with others.

Search for your actual printer model and the words share, xp and vista.

#6 Dave Shambaugh

Dave Shambaugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

The problem was with my IE 8. I removed it and then downloaded a new copy and intalled it. That function of clicking on an included WEB address is now functional again.

Thanks for your help.

kimbrala

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

Glad you solved it, feedback appreciated...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users