Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mac80ex.idf adware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack D

Jack D

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:59 AM

Hi there

I ran Norton antivirus yesterday and it found a list of adwares contained within mac80ex.idf. It was unable to get rid of them and I have tried various online scans which have also failed.

A suggestion was to run Killbox. I downloaded it from this site but when I tried to unzip the file, I got an error message telling me that it wasn't compatible with MS Dos. Does anyone know why I am getting this message? Perhaps someone has a better way to get rid of this annoying adware?

The adverts are driving me crazy (and some are not exactly suitable for my kids to see!).

Thanks
Jack D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:46 AM

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log here.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Try running the following from safe mode (Getting to safe-mode) Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip

or

DrWeb CureIT

Also try installing and running A2 Free and Ewido

I'd also run Spybot and Adaware

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt"

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

#3 Jack D

Jack D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:56 AM

Hi

I don't sem to be able to run HiJackThis, CW Shredder or Killbox. I am getting this error message:

'16 Bit Windows Subsystem:

C:Windows\system 32\autoexec.nt. The file system is not suitable for running MS Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate application.'

Do you know what this all means? I'm baffled!

#4 Jack D

Jack D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:48 AM

I've posted this morning about not being able to run HiJackThis. Perhaps this isn't the correct forum to post in? Can anyone suggest another site that would be able to help?

Thanks

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:53 AM

16bit_fix

Is this the problem your seeing? Above link is the fix.

When users attempt to start an MS-DOS based or 16-bit Windows application in Windows XP an error similar to:

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

or

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

may appear.  Download 16bit_fix.exe by from the link below.  When it is downloaded, double-click it to run it.  It reinstalls the missing  or corrupt  XP system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt which cause the error.

Note:  If the error message returns when the system is rebooted, the autoexec.nt file has been deleted.  You can prevent this from occurring by temporarily locating autoexec.nt in C:\Windows\system32, right-clicking it, selecting "Properties" and making it "Read only."  This problem is caused by a virus or spyware.  When the precise cause is identified that information (as well as corrective measures) will be added here.

#6 Jack D

Jack D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

Hi

Thanks for this fix. Unfortunately I can't run it! This is the error message I'm getting:

'Could not initialize installation. File size expected=143243. File returned=118076'

Is this error message also because of a missing file? Is there another fix I could use?

Thanks for your help.

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:06 AM

MS Manual Fix

Experts Exchange on the same problem

Pest Patrol on mac80ex.idf

Can you confirm that you have tried running updated versions of Spybot and Adaware in safe mode?

I've just downloaded the 16bit fix file and it install OK, either you got a corrupt download or your spyware problem is causing the installer problems.

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:47 PM

Hi Jack D,

Can you confirm that you have tried running all or any of the programs and fixes stidyup has suggested in safe mode? To be able to help you we really need to see a HijackThis log or one from ewido or anything else that would yield more information. If malware itself is interfering it may not do so in safe mode. It's better to see a HJT log in normal mode, but one from safe mode will do in a pinch.

If you're not sure how to get to safe mode see our tutorial here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=61

I suspect, tho, that you're suffering from an additional infection that has overwritten a system file, safe mode won't help if so, and the fix for that has to be done exactly right.

So please try to get a log with additional information posted first. If that fails, let me know your exact operating system and your update status, i.e., which service packs you have installed if any.

Also let me know if you ever at any time experienced any of the symptoms described here or anything similar:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...aid-t17258.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ete-t22394.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...old-t22397.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...exe-t22402.html

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users