Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disc space

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 narasimhan

narasimhan

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:04 AM

my c drive(xp service pack 3 installed) shows
total size: 24.4GB
used: 15.4GB
free: 8.92GB

but if i "select all" files inside c drive and check it adds up to only 12.9GB
all hidden files and protected system files(page hibernate files) are visible. system restore is disabled.

so why is the difference?

i haven't defragmented the drive for a long time. will defragmentation recover the disk space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:02 AM

In my opinion,

This may be due to different ways of calculating the empty disk space versus file size. To find free disk space when you right-click on a disk icon in "My Computer", Windows uses different API function. But when you select all files inside a folder, Windows calculates size of all files and adds them up. The difference arises because a handle cannot be opened to all files on disk, as some files are locked even for read access. To check, follow same process on a non-system disk (on which you have not installed Windows), like a USB pendrive or another partition on your hard disk.

This could also be because of some problems with your file system. You can do a simple chkdsk /f. To do this open Start Menu > Run, type chkdsk /f c: if it asks to schedule a disk check on restart, then answer yes. Restart your computer.

EDIT : It may also be possible that your hard disk is failing. You should run a diagnostic tool to check if your hard disk is healthy.

Edited by Romeo29, 28 November 2009 - 07:07 AM.

#3 narasimhan

narasimhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

hard disc is healthy and no errors.

This may be due to different ways of calculating the empty disk space versus file size. To find free disk space when you right-click on a disk icon in "My Computer", Windows uses different API function. But when you select all files inside a folder, Windows calculates size of all files and adds them up. The difference arises because a handle cannot be opened to all files on disk, as some files are locked even for read access. To check, follow same process on a non-system disk (on which you have not installed Windows), like a USB pendrive or another partition on your hard disk.

maybe ur reason is correct. i checked for other drives. there is not much difference. for example my other drive has 30GB used space. while selecting all files it showed 29.8GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users