Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows can not repair failed to detect tcp/ip settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spazik

spazik

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:17 AM

Hi all, I hope you can help me out here.

My girlfriends laptop BSOD'D (c000021a error) earlier this week so I take a look and was unable to fix the problem so I reinstalled XP hoping to get a fresh start and go from there. The reinstall went perfect, except for now her laptop will not access the internet even though it says it's connected (IT'S DEAF OH NO!) I tried resetting winsock even followed the windows directions to a T and reinstalled the tcp/ip settings and its the same problem. when I type ipconfig in command prompt it says "windows ip configuration. I need to access the internet so I can update all her drivers and get her ol' laptop back up to snuff before she head back to school sunday. I would appreciate it if you guys can help me here!

heres all the stats:

XP pro SP2

wont connect to the internet even though it says its connected

when trying to repair connection the following is displayed "Cannot continue repair failed to detect tcp/ip settings"

no IP address

not sending or receiving any data packets

when IPCONFIG is inputted "windows ip configuration" is displayed.

Tried winsock repair

Reinstalled tcp/ip setting via windows prompt while repairing winsock

I can provide any other computer info just ask =)

I just hope its not P.E.B.K.A.C. >.>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:11 AM

what is the laptop brand and model number.
You probably need to connect to the mfg drivers page from your computer and download the drivers, burn to cd or save on a flash usb key and install on the laptop.

Laptops usually have a recovery cd or dvd set or a partition that has the recovery files on it.

What did you use to reinstall xp?

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:17 AM

Open Start Menu > Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This would open Device Manager. Look under the category Network Adaptors, what do you see? Is there any yellow question mark icons or exclamation icons or red cross icons in Device Manager related to networking devices?

#4 spazik

spazik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

The laptop in question is a toshiba satallite. the laptop came from one of her family members so it does not have a recovery cd. I used a copy of XP pro sp2 I have.

as for the device manager page the entire "other devices" page is one big question mark. the ethernet controller, the mass storage controller, the network controller, the pci device, video controller, and video controller(vga compatible) show all question marks with exclamation points. I assume I'm missing a bunch of drivers. also the wireless networking card thats built in is not on any device.

it seems I really screwed the pooch on this one. I appreciate the help very much!

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

Yes it means Networking Controller drivers are not installed, you cannot use internet. We can assume that nothing is wrong in Winsock settings.

You can google your laptop's model number to find the drivers. Download them on a USB pendrive. Attach the pendrive to laptop and install the drivers.

Had you mentioned the model number, we could have helped you find the drivers. It should be written somewhere on the laptop.

Here is driver download page of Toshiba Support, for you to start with driver hunt : http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...sp?nav=Download

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users