Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fan error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mariana_X

Mariana_X

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hey guys! Well I don't usually post here a lot but I know that the forum rules says you have to look first and see if someone had posted a similar problem earlier, but well I couldn't find anything so here's what happened:

I have a Gateway laptop that got wet accidentally, I dried all I could and waiting for about a day or two before I tried turning it on to make sure everything was dry. The computer does turn on, but I get this message:

"02FA MAIN FAN ERROR, CHECK CPU FAN!!!"

So what I did was go to a place where they repair laptops to have the fan replaced, the guy did so but the laptop will mark the same error with the new fan, and worse yet, the other fan does work and does turn on!! The second thing on the forums said that I should check for lint or hair stuck in the fan but the fan is clean (this is the original fan not the new one)... And I just noticed i get a "No TPM or TPM has problem" on the startup screen...

Can anyone help me with this?

The computer does go into BIOS and we already tried updating but apparently it's not working or maybe we're not doing it right? Is that supposed to fix the problem? Helps!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mariana_X

Mariana_X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

So well today I tried updating the BIOS, I went into Gateway's website and downloaded the update for the BIOS to a USB drive then booted with F2 and went into bios to see if I could do it that way but it wouldnt work :S Is that how I am supposed to do it? :thumbsup:

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

So well today I tried updating the BIOS, I went into Gateway's website and downloaded the update for the BIOS to a USB drive then booted with F2 and went into bios to see if I could do it that way but it wouldnt work :S Is that how I am supposed to do it? :thumbsup:

To answer your previous post...since you got your PC wet (SHAME!!!), you may not have fried just the fan, but the fan sensor also. As we all know, PCs run on sensors more and more the newer they are, and your fan still spins, but the sensor that detects its RPMs and running temp are probably fried.

To better gauge the issue with the BIOS, I need to know...does your PC boot into Windows normally? If not, then you may have extensive motherboard damage, and may ultimately have to replace the motherboard altogether.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 28 November 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#4 Mariana_X

Mariana_X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

Hello Eric!

Well no, the computer does not go into Windows, it stays in the black screen in startup where it's checking everything on the computer and that's when I hear two beeps and get the error message. After that I can to go the BIOS settings but that's about it, although the fan I had and the fan the guy at the repair shop replaced it with seem to work fine.

Another thing I also tried was to remove the little battery from the motherboard and placing it again after some minutes, I had read on a forum that it worked, but no, I just had to set the time and date again but still got error message :thumbsup:

Do you think motherboard can be toast? D:

#5 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

Yes, that is what it sounds like, sadly. The beep code you recieved sounds as if it is a BIOS code. I am not judging that based on the beep code itself (I cannot hear it), but the fact that it takes you straight to the BIOS is the sign. If it won't boot to any media, then the motherboard is more than likely fried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users