Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a new 1 TB or more HD.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to add at least a terabyte hard drive for storage and performance. I've seen some good possibilities at Newegg but I thought it prudent to get what advice I can from here before making a purchase.

Inside my PC I have:

ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, ATA-133, EIDE, OEM

Plu 2 SCSI HDs, a 78 GB and an eighten GB one.

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2VU8002GK

I have a stuttering problem that I'm also hoping to resolve. Reading on this seems to point to either the hard drive or the video card as the culprit. I don't know which is to blame here but the video card is DD3 while my memory is DD2 if that has any baring on what might be making my PC stutter? Also, my reading said that it may be the SATA HD causing the stuttering? Could it maybe be that there is more than one kind of hard drive in my PC - SATA, IDE and SCSIs?

Are any of the combinations on components in my PC be causing the stutter? I bring this up because I wouldn't want to purchase another cause to make my PC stutter, it's stuttering is bad enough already:)

Anyhow, I would like to find at least a terabyte HD that will not stutter but offers high performance and storage for all the TV programs that I will probably be recording now that I am using a Hauppauge 2250 HD TV video card and liking it as my only HD TV.

Any suggestions on what is a good performing HD with this kind of storage and not to expensive, maybe up to $150.00. And if you have any recommendation for something costing more than that it still would be interesting to hear about it. Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 27 November 2009 - 09:58 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

Western Digital makes excellent hard drives. I recommend the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users