Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

limiting my network connection

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Genix

Genix

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

I have a connection speed of 215 KB/sec (my max) and it's pretty decent. Now my sister is home with her laptop, and she is watching movies (one of those Chinese movies that are so long and sometimes have many episodes) constantly. I want to limit her connection to 150 MB/sec, and the rest left for me to do my web surfing. The problem is, I don't know how to do it, and I don't even know if it's possible.

So how can I limit her connection speed? By the way, I have a router and she has wireless connection, my computer is the main/domain.
EDIT: sorry people, it is KB/sec, not MB/sec

Edited by Genix, 28 November 2009 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Some routers will allow you to prioritize traffic. This is known as Quality of Service. You can limit bandwidth by MAC address, application or port number. The following link shows one example for the Linksys model WRT-54G, which is a very common model.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...BfcHY9JnBfY3Y9J

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

If she connects by wireless then in effect she is already limited. Wireless G speeds max at 54 Mbps.

But I believe you are really speaking of two different things. The numbers you and I are both speaking of are speed. You are looking to limit band width.
Regarding Quality of Service. It may work but to the best of my knowledge the program(s) need to be QoS aware for that to show any benefits.

Hopefully CaveDweller2 will see this and correct me if I am wrong.

#4 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

If she connects by wireless then in effect she is already limited. Wireless G speeds max at 54 Mbps.

But I believe you are really speaking of two different things. The numbers you and I are both speaking of are speed. You are looking to limit band width.
Regarding Quality of Service. It may work but to the best of my knowledge the program(s) need to be QoS aware for that to show any benefits.

Hopefully CaveDweller2 will see this and correct me if I am wrong.

she's using up about 200 KB/sec, I know because it is like having dial-up every time I surf the web and look up videos on youtube (I know dial-up speed because I used to use dail-up).

Edited by Genix, 28 November 2009 - 04:46 PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

What router do you have? make, model and revision.

If your router can do it QoS might get you want you want. But to truly get what it is you are after you need either an old PC with 2 network cards to act as your router, some serious software or a router that has the capability built into it.

If your router doesn't have QoS or the function in it to do this you might find a 3rd party firmware that will. DD-WRT has TONS of firmware versions for all kinds of routers that add different functionality and OpenWrt is another.

Now if she is clueless, when you want to use the net just turn on MAC filtering on the router's wireless and don't enter her MAC address. When you're done disable it and let her know it should work. lol

And ThunderZ gives me too much credit lol =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

What router do you have? make, model and revision.

If your router can do it QoS might get you want you want. But to truly get what it is you are after you need either an old PC with 2 network cards to act as your router, some serious software or a router that has the capability built into it.

If your router doesn't have QoS or the function in it to do this you might find a 3rd party firmware that will. DD-WRT has TONS of firmware versions for all kinds of routers that add different functionality and OpenWrt is another.

Now if she is clueless, when you want to use the net just turn on MAC filtering on the router's wireless and don't enter her MAC address. When you're done disable it and let her know it should work. lol

And ThunderZ gives me too much credit lol =)

My router is D-Link, and the program that I'm using that comes with the package is "Pure Networks Network Magic"

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:44 AM

When I asked for the router I asked for the make, which you answered but you missed the model and the revision.

I can't find any info on that software that indicates it will do what you want to do.

And there is no need to quote posts. =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

um...ok, you got me, I don't know how to identify the model and the revision.

#9 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

Which D-Link model do you own? Several have limited QoS functionality.

#10 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Which D-Link model do you own? Several have limited QoS functionality.

the model is DIR-615 B2
EDIT: now i just need to know how to identify the revision.
EDIT: I just found out the MAC filtering, but I think it is a complete block. I just want to limit her connection speed.

Edited by Genix, 29 November 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

Here is a link to the router and you'll want to click on the last "tab" Support Resources. The link to see how to find the revision wouldn't work for me, if it does for you then you'll know how. Normally its on the bottom of the router on a sticker. But its in like micro print lol.

The MAC address thing will shut off her access lol. But you can just disable it when you are done with your web use hehe.

#12 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir615_revB/M..._manual_240.zip

Page 37 shows the QoS Engine.

It doesn't look like the DIR-615 RevB can do QoS the way you'd like it to.

#13 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Here is a link to the router and you'll want to click on the last "tab" Support Resources. The link to see how to find the revision wouldn't work for me, if it does for you then you'll know how. Normally its on the bottom of the router on a sticker. But its in like micro print lol.

The MAC address thing will shut off her access lol. But you can just disable it when you are done with your web use hehe.

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir615_revB/M..._manual_240.zip

Page 37 shows the QoS Engine.

It doesn't look like the DIR-615 RevB can do QoS the way you'd like it to.

I like using quotes, it helps me to keep track.
H/W Ver.:B2
Looks like I don't have QoS, is there a way or a program to limit wireless connection speed?

Edited by Genix, 30 November 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#14 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

You can try Netlimiter, but for your needs I'd part with $55USD and get the Linksys WRT54GL. This one can be flashed with DD-WRT or OpenWRT firmware which can both provide huge functionality gains.

http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php

#15 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

You can try Netlimiter, but for your needs I'd part with $55USD and get the Linksys WRT54GL. This one can be flashed with DD-WRT or OpenWRT firmware which can both provide huge functionality gains.

http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php

find anything that's free without a trial period?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users