Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which notebook to buy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rabidrun

rabidrun

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hello there, need to buy a notebook quickly to replace ancient desktop that died. i am lost in the sea of laptops. i've answered your questions below & think i am leaning towards 4 gb RAM, 320 gb HD, 14 or 15" screen, 14" might be a lighter & easier to tote to cafe to use wifi, wifi wireless capability built in, dual core rather than single core processor. maybe leaning towards asus or lenovo but which model & processor? if features are outside new price range what about rebuilt with features I'm interested in? the recommended asus & lenovo notebooks recommended at laptoplogic.com, pcworld.com, & some others are WELL OVER $700.

one 8/18/09 survey found asus as #1 for computer reliability, with apple #2, & lenovo #3: http://www.rescuecom.com/RESCUECOM269.html .

another 11/17/09 survey cited asus #1, toshiba #2, sony #3, & lenovo #6 in laptop reliability:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-...a-win-hp-fails/

is it better to buy extended 3 yr warranty from manufacturer or from place purchased like staples or office depot?

My budget for the new computer is: under $700. would prefer to pay under $500 if possible for what i want

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, web browsing, word & excel at home & in cafe

What software do you intend on using on the computer? vista 7, ms office (word, excel, ppt), adobe (read). Not interested in a Mac nor can I afford one.

Do you play games? no. If so, what type of games? NA

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? toggle between open email, & open MS applications like word or excel

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? no, use cde & external HD for pictures. don't store music at all

THNKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hello. I'm in virtually (no pun intended :wacko: ) the same boat as you are, and have a thread 8 or 10 down this list. The specs you mentioned are exactly the same as my needs, and I've been searching diligently the last week for a good deal. My first laptop was an HP (Compaq) and after almost 4 years I've been nothing but happy with it (when I thought there was a problem with my optical drive {false alarm} one week before the one-year warranty expired, a pre-paid FedEx box was delivered to me within 16 hours of my phone call and I live in the mountains far from a big city). Anyway, I've been leaning toward an HP Pavillion dv4

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+...p;skuId=9554671

but also found this deal

http://dealnews.com/Lenovo-Idea-Pad-Y450-C...ing/331521.html.

CNet gives both the HP dv4 and the Lenovo Y450 3.5 stars (along with the Acer Aspire 3935) so I've been struggling with a decision. After I post this I'll check out your links--thanks for those--and see if I can confuse myself even more than I already am :blink: . Any other info you gather would be welcome, so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Good luck.

#3 rabidrun

rabidrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:46 PM

thanks for the link for the lenovo ideapad y450 for $467 + tax. it looks like a nice machine.

i just checked out dell.com & dell inspiron 15 w/ 4 gb ram, 320 gb hd, webcam, intel core 2 duo t6600 etc would cost $544 with neighbors employee discount.

what do you all think about these 2 notebooks?

also want to ask if it makes sense to get the accidental coverage on a notebook, & if so, for 1 yr or 3 yrs? dell would charge $79, 179, & 269 for 1, 2 or 3 yr accidental coverage. seems like alot on a notebook that's worth about $500. thanks

#4 rabidrun

rabidrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:03 AM

hey louiechuckymerry: i just took a look at your website for lenovo ideapad y450 at:
http://dealnews.com/Lenovo-Idea-Pad-Y450-C...ing/331521.html

please note that it has outdated vista on it rather than win 7.

#5 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't notice the OS because I'm planning to use a new OEM XP Pro on the machine I (hopefully soon :blink: ) purchase. Also, WalMart has a series of Toshiba 13" & 14" laptops with nice specs, and Windows 7, going for $588. Man, way too many choices . . . Ahhh, that Dell sounds like a good deal. I've never owned a Dell, so I can't comment on quality.

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 30 November 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#6 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

http://www.officemax.com/technology/comput...refineValue~AMD

This, to me at least, is an excellent deal given that it has a 7200 rpm HDD, HDMI, and wireless n. I'll be in CO in a few days (where the sales tax is lower :blink: ), and I think that I'll grab one. Have you found anything good?

#7 rabidrun

rabidrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

louiechuckymerry, just remember that hp laptops got last place rankings (see my first message of 11/27). didnt find what i wanted on black friday or cyber monday for a laptop. i'd like to get an affordable 14 or 15" asus or lenovo. i read where asus gives 2 yr warranty w/ first year accidental protection thrown in for free. dell wanted some ridiculous amount when i priced out the inspiron 15. i read don't spend over 25% cost of laptop on a warranty. regards

#8 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:30 AM

I'm just some clown, but given that most often with computers things that will go wrong do go wrong within a year, I believe that purchased extended warranties are silly. That typed, the Asus extra year/accidental protection gig you wrote of sounds good. Also, as I typed earlier, every Asus I've touched during my recent search for a new laptop felt solidly built AND looked good. I realize that HP earned last place rankings in the reliability reports you linked in your original post; however, I personally have never had a problem with my HP laptop, and, when I (falsely) did have an issue HP sent me a prepaid FedEx box within sixteen (16) hours. Anyway, good luck with your pursuit, and post whatever you decide (as I've still not made a move).

#9 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

Back again. Today I snapped up an HP dv4 2040us on ebay for $599 total. However, bing.com and Microsoft presently have a promotion offering 8-20% cashback if you purchase via a sponsored link on bing.com. Thus, after the 20% (not sure what determines the percentage; maybe I got lucky) refund, the laptop will cost me $480 total. The Process: find the item # you want on ebay, copy the item number, open bing.com in a new tab, type "laptops to buy" in the search bar, click on the ebay link in the upper-right corner of the screen (it may take multiple searches for ebay to show as one of the sponsored links), paste the item # in the ebay search bar, hit the 'Buy It Now' button, and pay with PayPal. If the cashback percentage is unacceptable to you, then simply don't confirm the purchase; if, on the other hand, the percentage is OK, then confirm the purchase and within five or so minutes you'll have a message in your ebay inbox with a link for receiving the refund. You must have ebay AND a PayPal accounts in good standing, and you must "Buy It Now" within 60 minutes of clicking on the bing.com link. This worked for me, and $120 is $120 last time I checked. Anyway, just wanted to contribute this for anyone interested. Good luck.

#10 rabidrun

rabidrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

thanks for the information LouieChuckyMerry. Sounds like a nice price. Did you get a new or refurbished hp laptop at ebay?

looking at the asus k40ij-d2 for around $579 or $530.55, both after $100 rebate from asus
http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Sc...;Category_Code=
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=sear...amp;x=0&y=0

let me ask the bleeping computer community how would this laptop compare with a lenovo or dell with similar specs? ie 14.1" screen, 4 gb ram, 320 gb hd, 802.11 wireless a/b/g/n, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, Win 7 Home Premium, web cam, DVD RW, 2 yr limited warranty & 1 yr accidental damage warranty, w/ some power saving efficiencies?

anybody dealt with gentech computers before? what was your experience with them? thanks!

Edited by rabidrun, 09 December 2009 - 08:59 PM.

#11 dsoue

dsoue

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the posts. I also want to buy a new notebook!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users