Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail Phishing Scam - Never send password in email

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:24 AM

This one is well crafted and always remember NEVER SEND A PASSWORD thru EMAIL.

Gmail Phishing Scam - Never send password in email
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/000878.html

Last night I received a gmail email from Gmail Team with the subject, "More Gmail invites." I found this email very weird. It continued to read "The Gmail Team is proud to announce that we are offering Gmail free invitation packages to the existing Gmail account holders. By now you probably know the key ways in which Gmail differs from traditional webmail services. Searching instead of filing. A free gigabyte of storage. Messages displayed in context as conversations."

Now, normally Gmail gives you invites directly in the top console and does not ask you to fill out information. This email looks really valid, plus it got through Gmail's spam filter. So is it real? I doubt it. But it looks so real. Anyway, it asks you for your current gmail account and password. That is a direct tip that someone is phishing for passwords. Be Careful and look out for this email!

COPY OF THE GMAIL PHISHING SCAM CURRENTLY CIRCULATING

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Triglav

Triglav

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for this warning harrywaldron,

I hope you don't mind, but I posted the link in another forum as well to warn some ppl about this scam.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users