Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband speed keeps slowing down.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Philmose

Philmose

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hi guys, first post on your forum.

The area I live in has a very slow 'best possible' broadband speed, around 2 Megs however I have never got any more than 800 Kb/p/sec. What makes it worse is the longer I use the internet the slower it gets. If I turn off the router and wait a couple of minutes and turn it back on when it reconnects to Pipex it's back to 700/800 Kb.

The router is one of Pipex's Thomson speedtouch ST585 ones but I also had the same problem with my last ISP when I was using a Netgear wireless router. This is what makes me think it's something in my computer set up.

Any ideas? continually turning off and on is becoming a pain.

On another tech help site I found a suggestion to do the following,

1. Go to Start-> Run-> and type gpedit.msc
2. Expand the Administrative Templates branch
3. Expand the Network tab
4. Highlight QoS Packet Scheduler
5. Click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth and check the enabled box
6. Then Change the Bandwidth limit % to 0 %

Trouble is I'm running XP home and I can't access gpedit.msc.

Anyone got any ideas I'm getting a bit threadbare with this problem.

Philmose.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users