Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

G Data AV

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SFB

SFB

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

I've been researching AV software to install to replace the ones that came with my computers. In the paid category G Data looks good. Does anyone have any experience with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

In the matousec.com Proactive Security Challenge they didn't fare well. Look toward the bottom of the list for them. Also rated as "Not recommended".

I have no experience with the product, just happened to see that list.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

That list seems to be for firewalls?

#4 fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

I used GData IS2010 on three of my computers and it is quite light and responsive without being intrusive. Matousec is based on firewalls and leak testing. Many do not put much regard to those results. They are generally based around HIPS response. GData is a great program, but there are some real challenges to it. 1) It can be difficult to navigate through. Not everything is obvious when it comes to settings. 2) It is not well know outside of Germany so there is no US distributor or a distributor for most of the English speaking world. 3) Company response to customers outside Germany is dismal. It is well documented that customers, myself included, have had issues that go unanswered and unresolved. There was a forum set up for GData by a British company for English version help but the help generally comes from other English speaking customers trying to help each other. 4) English version product support is an afterthought. German version 20.1.0.6 has been out for 3-4 months and Gdata continues to say it will just be 2 more weeks for the English version to be released. Alas, it never comes. With all of that said, the program is very good, runs well. Initial scan is long, 90 to 120 minutes, then every subsequent scan goes down in time. I believe a full scan on 4 drives about 4 TB in all now takes around 12-15 minutes for me. It runs dual AV engines (engine 1 is Bitdefender, engine 2 is Avast). It is one of the top rated programs in regards to detection because of the dual AV engines (AV Comparatives). It runs very good next to Prevx 3 (I highly recommend this program to everyone, One of the best on the market) and you are pretty rock solid. Try running the 30 day trial. If you like it, google where to purchase it. Look for the British company, they are great with customer service but their hands are tied if you do not buy it from them.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

That list seems to be for firewalls?

You are correct. I read too fast and saw some suites, which led me astray.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users