Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer constantly restarts

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Yesterday I used my computer like always and nothing was wrong, however, when I turned on my computer today I was surprised to see a message on my screen.

The screen asks me if I would like to boot my computer in the following ways:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last known good configuration OR
Normally

However, no matter which option I choose, the Windows load screen shows up for about 3 seconds before my computer restarts itself.

What is causing it and is thier a solution? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

It's possible that there is a virus causing this but it could also be a hardware issue as well. Before it started doing this were you seeing any strange pop up's or anything out of the ordinary going on? It's always possible to pull the hard drive, slave it on to anothe rcomputer and then run MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware scans with the other computer. If the other computer doesn't see the drive then it may be an issue with the drive itself. If you are able to run the scans then it's most likely a virus that's got it locked down.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

The last places I visited while on my computer was Myspace, Facebook, and Smashboards so I doubt I got a virus. I also didn't notice any pop ups.

As for making my hard drive a slave, I have a few questions:

1) Can you slave a hard drive to a laptop
2) If its a virus can it be removed
3) What did you mean by hardware issue

Thanks for the reply

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

If the computer giving you problems is the laptop then you can connect it to a desktop with a laptop to IDE converter which you can get for around $10. If you are going laptop tp laptop then there's an external enclosure which allows you to connect the laptop hard drive to it and then the enclosure to the second laptop via USB.

If you are going desktop to laptop to slave the hard drive then that one I don't believe is possible. I googled it but didn't get anything back.

Yes, viruses can be removed and when I say it may be a hardware issue I am saying the hard drive may be physiclaly having a problem.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#5 neilmac

neilmac

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

yeah, it sounds like a motherboard issue i had a hp laptop that did that. i think it had something to do with a faulty thermostat that tells the computer it's overheating and to shut down. mine would stay on for longer if it had been shut off for longer. but after i reinstalled windows by swapping out the hard drive onto a secondary machine to reinstall. it shut down just as u described after that which had me thinking it was something else. apparently the model i had was known for motherboard issues i can't remember which one it was. if u do have a hp and that is what it is then in the future buy a dell or Toshiba they've never given me hardware problems. and my old dell was still working with no screen ( i had to use an external monitor) and no fans. and the fans crapped out months earlier with no ill effects, i had the thing screwed to the wall like a picture oh and the keyboard had been melted by a butane torch its former owner smoked too much crack. i got it fro $50. this one i use now is a Toshiba and has no screen either i got it for $65 it went through a car crash and works great. anywho sorry for your loss it may be more cost effective to buy a new one i would suggest a used one from ebay or a refurbished u can get them pretty cheap especially if they're last years models.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Try the following ...
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.

To get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

The BSOD says the following:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7A41378, 0xF7A41074, 0x86288805)

For the record, my computer is a HP.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

STOP: 0x00000024
my computer is a HP.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Step 1
Disconnect or remove any other hard drive that may be connected to this system: This includes internal secondary/slave hard drives, external USB (or other hard drives), USB flashdrives etc.
Try booting the system now.

Step 2 .............. if there is only the one hard drive connected and it still fails to boot with the STOP 0x24 error ...
The first thing that you should do is to check that your hard drive is not failing.
Since you have an OEM HP system, you may have HP diagnostic utiility available from one of the boot menus ... Have you seen this? If not, continue ...
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you have trouble identifying your hard drive manufacturer, use the Hitachi diagnostic utility: It will work with most hard drives.

Step 3 .......... if there is no problem what-so-ever with the hard drive
Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD (or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso): Do the following ...1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the ENTER key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press ENTER.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press ENTER.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /p and press <ENTER>
If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /p again, and repeat if necessary, until no more errors are found.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 November 2009 - 05:43 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well I managed to somehow boot into safe mode so what should I do now?

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Well I managed to somehow boot into safe mode so what should I do now?

What have you done so far, that might have enabled you to load Windows in Safe Mode?

Edit: The BSOD message said ...
"Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities (You won't be able to un-install in Safe Mode if it requires the Windows installer/Add-Remove Programs). Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers."

It also said: "Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.", but this is going to require re-starting your computer for Check Disk to run.

Relax, and have a good long think about the situation before doing anything too rash.

Edit: You might want to consider backing up your personal files to an external hard drive/flashdrive, if you have not already done that.
Creating a new System Restore point might be a good idea if it is possible (checking to ensure that you do have System Restore enabled/ON).
Downloading and installing ERUNT to create a backup your Windows registry might also be useful.
Download ERUNT (Emergency Rescue Utility NT):
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
http://majorgeeks.com/Erunt_d1267.html

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 November 2009 - 08:55 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:12 AM

The only thing I did was disconnect my mouse and printer and then try system restore which I found on one of the menus. However, system restore only ran for a few seconds before restarting. After that I decided to try booting using safe mode and it worked but I dont know why.I also don't have the Windows XP CD -_-'

Edit: How do I check my drive configuration and how do I check for updated drivers?

EDIT: I trird running chkdsk/f but it wont let me even after restarting my computer.

Edited by Crazy_mofo213, 29 November 2009 - 01:22 PM.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

Edit: How do I check my drive configuration and how do I check for updated drivers?
EDIT: I trird running chkdsk/f but it wont let me even after restarting my computer.

That should be chkdsk /f if you are starting it from within Windows Start > Run box
Or from the Recovery Console it is chkdsk /p (which is the same thing).
Note: There is a space after chkdsk and before the /f or /p

Edit: Try that again, and if not successful, let me know what happens, and what messages that you see.
If you do get chkdsk /f to run, and it does find/repair errors, repeat chkdsk /f ... and repeat again if necessary, until no more errors are indicated.

Don't worry about this "check my drive configuration and updated drivers" unless you were mucking about with any of that before the "accident".

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 November 2009 - 09:52 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

I tried running chkdsk /f through Start >Run, but I recieved the following error.

"Chkdsk cannor run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>"

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

I tried running chkdsk /f through Start >Run, but I recieved the following error.

"Chkdsk cannor run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>"

This is normal .. it cannot be checked while Windows is using the files.
Choose Y for yes.
Now, re-start the computer and Check Disk will run.
When Check Disk has finished it will re-start the computer normally.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

I restarted myr computer and tried running chkdsk /f but I recieved this message again:

"This type of file system is NTFS. Cannont lock current drive

Chkdsk cannor run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users