Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 to Firefox

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Alicerose

Alicerose

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

I've been hearing alot about Firefox & wondered what some of you use & if you like Firefox.
I'm using Windows XP Home with IE8....
What do I need to do to change to Firefox.
Will I lose my bookmarks & all the stuff I have with IE8?
Do I need to uninstall IE8 first than install Firefox.
What is the best way?
Any feedback on what you like & why would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, to preclude the need as suggested. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

You'll probably get more answers by posting in the Internet and Networking forum. (Web browsing).

#3 Alicerose

Alicerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

Thank you & I'm sorry I posted in the wrong area.
I'll go & post in the other one you suggested.

#4 300c

300c

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

You can keep IE8 no problem. Just google FireFox and download & install. FireFox will put a icon on your main screen "desktop" and you can have the best of both worlds as long you like. I personally love FireFox and very rarely ever use IE8 Good Luck

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

"What do I need to do to change to Firefox."

Download firefox, install firefox, and start browsing and see if you like this alternative browser.
I'd also recommend reading
Firefox features
Firefox security
Firefox customization
Another resource is Firefox forums

"Will I lose my bookmarks & all the stuff I have with IE8?"

No, the installation and usage of firefox is independent of internet explorer 8. All you are doing is giving yourself an additional browser to use.

Do I need to uninstall IE8 first than install Firefox.

No, the installation and usage of these browsers is independent. You need to keep internet explorer always for downloading Microsoft updates. Firefox would just be a second browser which may or may not become your default browser depending upon whether you like it or not.

What is the best way?

I always do a backup when installing an unfamiliar program, but that's really an individual preference.
Just download Firefox, install it, and I would recommend two add-ons AdBlock Plus for blocking ads and banner and the second add-on is NoScript for blocking active content and allowing JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted sites you choose.

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

I would keep using Internet Explorer as it is safer than Firefox.
Computer Pro

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hello Alicerose,

Just some additional comments.

Will I lose my bookmarks & all the stuff I have with IE8?

The Firefox Import Wizard will import all of your Internet Favorites, Cookies, Passwords, Browsing History, Saved Form History, and Internet Options from Internet Explorer, Opera, and other browsers so you do not have to worry about losing anything when you switch to Firefox.

See HERE.

To watch Flash Video (Youtube etc.) when using Firefox, you will need to download and install the Flash Player Plugin for Firefox, similar to the Flash Player ActiveX control found in Internet Explorer.

Download HERE (be sure to uncheck the unnecessary Free McAfee Security Scan before downloading).

Another very good Firefox Add-on, in addition to the ones mentioned by Tork, is WOT (Web of Trust).

Web of Trust warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory.

Download HERE.

If you need any more help, please let me know :thumbsup:.

#8 Alicerose

Alicerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

Thanks,everyone..
Tomorrow I'll DL Firefox & see
what its all about.
I appreciate all the good notes.

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

I would keep using Internet Explorer as it is safer than Firefox.

Maybe, possibly, there's a chance, out of the box that IE is safer than FF. But with NoScript, AdBlock plus, and WoT (web of trust), FF > IE8.

#10 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

But the chance of people without computer knowledge knowing about and using those tools? Basically none.
Computer Pro

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

But the chance of people without computer knowledge knowing about and using those tools? Basically none.

Main page of Firefox Security add ons has all 3 recommended add ons (NoScript, AdBlock plus, and WOT). And if someone were switching to Firefox, they would most likely know about add ons since it is displayed (the little introduction page) the first time the browser is launched if I remember correctly.

#12 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

But most people I've seen just merely go to their homepage instead of the "little introduction page" when they first launched the browser.
Computer Pro

#13 Alicerose

Alicerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:24 AM

Thank you.You all have been very helpful.
I'm going to DL Firefox & check it out.I guess if I don't like it Or find
that I don't use it I can always uninstall it.
Thanks again..You've been great..

#14 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

I know this topic may be changing to a Firefox> than IE or vice versa. But i firmly believe in the safeness of Firefox and i believe this link proves it.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-reasons-why...ernet-explorer/

Also i would recommend installing ghostery, helps keep away unwanted tracking cookies.
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

You can read my list of recommended add ons here as well as other users' favorites/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users