Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC is sending spam emails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 karenm152

karenm152

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

My computer is sending emails to everyone in my AOL address book. I've run McAfee and Spybot. Nothing found.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

I would run MBAM first and then run SUPERAntiSpyware next. It's possible that either spyware or malware has gotten past your antivirus software.

Edited by azfreetech, 27 November 2009 - 03:21 PM.

DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 karenm152

karenm152
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thank you for answering. I downloaded and ran both programs. Neither one found anything threatening.

Any other ideas?

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

update your antivirus and then run a full virus scan. Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that you're computer is sending spam email? Do you use an email client program such as Outlook, Outlook Express, or Windows mail to sen email directly from your computer?
DJ Digital Gem

#5 karenm152

karenm152
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

I have McAfee. I've updated it and run it twice today. I run it once a week.

About a month ago, this virus or whatever it is sent an email to all the A's and B's in my address book. I found it because some of it came back undeliverable. Then yesterday it sent an email to everyone in my AOL address book. I can see the emails in my "SENT" folder.

#6 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:16 AM

I work for an ISP and normally when we see spam floods it's associated with some type of virus or infection. If you have run MBAM and SAS along with your antivirus and removed everything that was found then you should be good to go. Are you still seeing NEW bounced back emails? Are you using an email client program and if so, which one?
DJ Digital Gem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users