Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Media Center missing or corrupt files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arelles

arelles

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Hello all,
I am working on a clients computer, WinXP Media Center, SP3. Pulled several bits of malware out and installed some of the suggested cleaners, updated same and everything seemed to be running well except Internet Explorer. Tried to run Windows Update and got error message that indicated missing/corrupt files. Ran Dial-a-fix and uncovered several files (rundll for one). Ran sfc /scannow, returned error that Media Center and XP Pro install discs were not the correct disc (actually asked for XP Pro install disc). Do I need an XP Pro disc with SP3 slipstreamed? Or do I need a specific OEM disc from Dell?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

If you mean "MCE" when you say "Media Center"...then you need the MCE 2005 installation disk, slipstreamed or not.

Since it's a Dell system, you need to look up data on the specific model and determine how Dell set it up for recovery/repair/reinstall options.

Recovery CDs/partitions are no substitute for a MS XP install CD when attempting to repair/troubleshoot XP known issues.

Louis

#3 arelles

arelles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

It was an MCE install disc that I tried with sfc first, then I used the XP Pro install disc, as that was what sfc was requesting. I will check the Dell specs next. I am trying to avoid a re-install, as the machine is performing well in all other areas. I assume the update utilities were attacked to allow the malware to avoid detection. Thanks, and of to Dell.
Arelles :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users