Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Gateway PSU Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 malachi0420

malachi0420

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

I have an older Gateway 700S computer that I would like to upgrade the PSU and CASE. What Im not sure of is if I buy a modern PSU, will it have a connector for a Socket 478 CPU Motherboard, and will a aftermarket Computer Case have Motherboard mounting holes that will line up with the Gateway Motherboard, it says its ATX. I could use some help, any would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

You will have a tough time fitting that motherboard in an ATX case. It looks to be a BTX case by the picture, so no go on an ATX case. Now that I look at it again, it's not even a BTX spec case.

Any PSU with a 20 pin/20+4pin connector and a 4 pin aux connector will work fine. Basically any new ATX PSU will work, but
a new PSU might not fit your current case, and you current motherboard won't fit an ATX case, Catch22. Upgrade time. That motherboard won't fit in anything but that specific case.

Edited by dpunisher, 27 November 2009 - 09:50 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users