Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Problem / Cannot Upgrade to SP2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

I posted my problem in the Windows XP section because it has to do with that but now I notice it belongs in the section more probably here it is:

I have had this problem for a quite a while and have attempted to fix it many times to no avail. Here is the problem:

My internet explorer gives me the message "The page cannot be displayed" when I try to go to some websites. I have been able to narrow it down to websites that require passwords or fields to be put in although forums and filling out forums works fine, along with some email. I cannot go to my bank information, sign up or view anything in MSN Gaming Zone or Gamespy website or the part of Gamespot that requires signing in, or go to my school information (not school email, that works). In addition a lot of times I get an error that my security settings are no enabling my ActiveX so some things may not display properly. This is a problem because I cannot get SP2 from the windows site. I am not running any popup blockers or virus or spyware anything and I have turned all my security settings off and firewall and still does not work. I have scanned and no spyware or viruses are found using multiple programs. My computer will not autoupdate to SP2 though I have it turned on and http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ only shows a blank white page with nothing for me.

A while ago I downloaded the SP2 installation but it would give me an error midway through installation even though I downloaded the files multiple times it still happened.

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:54 PM

Have you tried adding http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to your Trusted Sites Zone?

To add a site to the Trusted Sites Zone:
open Internet Explorer
at the top click Tools
click Internet Options
click the Security tab
click the Trusted sites icon
click the Sites... button
where it says Add this Web site to the zone: type in the URL to the site
click the Add button
click the OK button
Click Apply
Click OK
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

I can go to that site but it just is white. It finishes loading and says done and theres just nothing there. To be sure I did what you said and nothing changed.

Also when I try to install ths SP2 update that I downloaded it gets most of the way through and says cannot find file and that setup failed.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:34 AM

Try putting *.update.microsoft.com in your Trusted Sites zone.
Do you have Active X enabled in your Trusted Sites zone?

Are you sure your computer is free of viruses/malware?
This will cause problems with the installation of SP2.
Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan
Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)
aČ free
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

Turn off your antivirus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.(Activate the XP firewall first..Use the built in XP firewall only).
NOTE: Do not just stop them, set them not to load with windows, or scan, on startup.
Also turn off Resident Shield and TeaTimer (and set all not to run at boot), in Spybot, if you are using them.
Also turn off SpywareBlaster, if being used.

You can go here and order (for free) the SP2 CD:
SP2 CD

What file can't be found?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ChuckNorris

ChuckNorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

The active X thing does not come up when I am going to the windows update site. It is just as if the site is nothing but a white background. I cannot use any of those online virus scans because I get the activeX error. Other scans say that I do not have viruses. I have had viruses and I think my problem might be related to a past virus. Also a month or so ago something happened and I got all kinds of viruses and spyware really fast from some site and I used spybot or something to get rid of it all and immediately after it did I checked and could go to sites that do not work for me now but I went to sleep and the next time I checked I could not. I have been having this problem for a long time, before that latest virus attack.

The SP2 fine installs and it seems to finish but then I get an error that says setup error and that the installation did not finish and then a second one that says a specified file was missing or could not be found, it does not tell me the specific file.

I have seen people using something called Hi-jack this on forums but I do not know anything about it. Would this help me and how do I use it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users