Situation: I inserted a thumb drive into the front usb on my PC, then the computer crashed. After resetting the computer, it would no longer access the internet. In the network connections screen it shows that I am connected to the internet, however IE, FF, and Thunderbird will not connect. I attempted to update Nod32, but no dice. Weird thing was that Windows Update worked. Please help
Failed attempts to fix:
- reset computer
- system restored to few hours prior
- reset router
- went into device manager, discovered issue with SM Bus Controller. d/l reinstalled chipset from Dell
- uninstalled network card, then reinstalled
- completed a windows update
- uninstalled java & flash. These guys have caused me more problems over the years than I care to recount.
- ran Dell diagnostics from boot menu
I could be wrong, but because of the way it happened I suspect some sort of hardware issue unfortunately I am unable to figure out what it could be. While waiting for a reply I will run Nod32 just in case though. Any advice would be appreciated.