Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet in XP, but not in Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Syntax-Error

Syntax-Error

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

I installed the Vista beta on my second HD, and when I start up IE7 it doesn't detect that I have an internet connection, but my internet works fine when im in XP. I'm not going through a router or firewall. I have a broadband connection. I tried installing the motherboard drives (a friend said that might work) and resetting my modom. Any idea on how to get my internet to work in Vista? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 g52ultra

g52ultra

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:21 PM

download or use you netcard driver cd and try to update from Device manager. Betcha it ain't got the correct driver! Remember theirs marginal driver support in Vista in this early stage. It's primarily for "developers!"
Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

#3 Syntax-Error

Syntax-Error
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:12 PM

Ok i found out I need the nvidia network driver for vista. I DLed it, and tried to install it using the device manager like the instructions say, but it says to right click on "Other PCI Bridge Device" but that was not listed in the device manager. Then after the steps for updating the drivers for that, it wants me to do it to "Ethernet Network Controller", which is also not in the Device Manager. What do I do?

#4 gooserelli

gooserelli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:00 PM

yeah, i sort of have the same problem but i don't think it's a faulty driver (or lack thereof) because i can access files throughout my home network, it's just the internet that doesn't work.

i don't use a DCHP on my network so i have to manually address all of my computers. i was wondering if a conflict is occuring when i set the same ip address on the vista partition as the ip address on the xp partition (both partitions on the same drive and the same computer.) could that be it?

help would be GREATLY appreciated.

#5 mateo

mateo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:53 AM

gooserelli,
i really doubt you would have an ip address conflict as long as the two OSes aren't booted at the same time (which of course they can't be when they're on the same drive). however, why don't you just try assigning a different address to the vista installation?? I'm really not trying to be rude or anything like that, but it's probably easier for you to just try a few things like that instead of others trying to guess what your computer's problem is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users