Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive becoming too full with Vista

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Autumn933

Autumn933

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:33 AM

Hi all,

I have been trying to understand why my C drive is becoming so full, even though my personal data might not be more than 7-8 Gb in size. I hear Vista does that to you. I keep ruthlessly deleting the smallest of my files and programs to save on space which is a constant up hill climb.

Can some kind soul help me figure out a way? I am not very computer savvy but, I can assure you that I will rigidly follow all instructions given here. I will remain in your website's chat for any quick instructions. Kindly let me know what information you need from my Laptop.

I have posted the following attachments (sorry could not have cut and paste) which might help you get a picture of what is going on.

1. Screenshot - 'My computer'
2. Screenshot - 'task manager - processes'
3. Screenshot - 'system information'
4. Kindly notice that I have exceeded the 'attachment' limit here and will be posting a screenshot of 'Windir stat' in my reply.

Apart from this, I think my computer is just too slow to work on. I have never had this slow a pc before I had Vista. I have McAfee Security Centre always running real time with no other seucrity to fight with it.

My request is if someone could help me make space on my hard disc and make my computer perform at a faster speed.

Regards
Autumn

Attached Files

Edited by Autumn933, 27 November 2009 - 03:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Autumn933

Autumn933
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:37 AM

Hi again,

The Windir stat image is too big to be posted on this forum, I am trying to figure out a way to make it smaller. Please bear with me :huh:

Love
Autumn

Edited by Autumn933, 27 November 2009 - 03:41 AM.

#3 Artellos

Artellos

Bionic Boy

• Security Colleague
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:24 AM

Just letting the forum know I am helping Autumn993 in the BleepingComputer Chat :huh:

Regards,
Olrik

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead so others might benefit too.
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you. Being rude brings you nowhere.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

Have I helped you and do you want to leave a kind message,
Please sign my guestbook here

Has it been a while since I replied to your post? Have I forgotten you?
Then please send me a reminding PM.

#4 Autumn933

Autumn933
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

Hi Artellos,

Here is the screenshot of my Windir stat with the 'personal folder open'

Love
Autumn

Attached Files

#5 Artellos

Artellos

Bionic Boy

• Security Colleague
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

Well, we freed up some disk space.
We moved the "Pictures" and "Music" folder to:
D:\Personal\<folder>

I can't think of anything else to free up room at this point,
Any other techs care to give this a shot? :huh:

Regards,
Olrik

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead so others might benefit too.
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you. Being rude brings you nowhere.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

Have I helped you and do you want to leave a kind message,
Please sign my guestbook here

Has it been a while since I replied to your post? Have I forgotten you?
Then please send me a reminding PM.

#6 Autumn933

Autumn933
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:42 AM

Artellos,

I can't believe that my issue was resolved within mins. You are a very focused techy. I owe you bigtime. My C drive had a facelift. Thanks a million.

But, I would still need to work on the speed of my computer and maybe create some more space on the C drive so I could occasionally load one of my resource intensive games and play.

It would be kind of you, if you could hand me over to someone who would look into that aspect of my issue.

I am requesting some help with Vista itself hogging up the Hard disc and if there are any tips and tricks within vista to create space and increase performance quality.

Lots of Love
Autumn

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

We can try TFC... TFC "takes out the trash" and frees up space. I'm not sure what increase we will see, but it wont hurt.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#8 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Also use Disk Cleanup to delete any prior System Restore Points, as they often take up many GB's of space on my Vista.
Computer Pro

#9 Autumn933

Autumn933
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks rigel and Computer pro.

After posting this topic here I downloaded TFC and ran Disk cleanup and Disk Defragment. I also found some malware that I removed. This has freed up some small space. I also removed all temp files. But, somehow my disc space is disappearing every time I go back to check if I have created any, I see it getting LOST instead :huh:.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/274534/is-a-trojan-munching-on-my-disk/

There is a topic I started in the HJ section about my doubts over this.

BTW, is it advisable to touch '%SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository'. I hear deleting these driver backups frees up some Hard drive space. Please comment.

Love
Autumn

#10 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

Check this out. I lose about 1gb a day of hardrive space.

http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html

Jim

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/274534/is-a-trojan-munching-on-my-disk/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users