Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible to Share Connection From Ethernet Port?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jlnajera

jlnajera

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:18 AM

Okay, my bro-in-law is pretty much threatening to run a phone line from our house back to his trailer to take advantage of my Netzero connection...yeah, I have dial-up. I can only get satellite internet where I live, and I can't afford it yet (dang equipment fees...)

So my question is, to avoid him having a free-for-all with our phone line, disabling my own internet connection and tying up the phone line 24/7 like his inconsiderate self would, is there any way that I can:

1)Connect to the internet through my internal dial-up modem
2)Send the dial-up connection through my ethernet port, connecting that to the "Internet" port on my wireless router
3)Allow him to connect to this connection using his USB wireless adapter connected to the computer out in his trailer.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:09 AM

To answer your general question which is: Can you share your dial up connection with another PC? Yes you can.

This page will walk you through how to set it up. I would imagine you would make the wireless connection just like you normally would. I would recommend using the first router config. That way your brother can't get into your PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users