Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc freezing!!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 yallwish

yallwish

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

yes i need some serious help i have tried everything i could think of and have not had any luck, which leads me to believe that it is a hardware problme. my pc will freeze when watching online video, or videos on vlc, media player.... when it is in fullscreen mode. i have cleaned inside with can of air, update bios, video card, audio, and still no luck there hasnt been any programs installed lately and malwarebytes, spybot, avg, have returned no results, help would be greatly appreciated, this is a computer i use at work.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 November 2009 - 01:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:22 AM

I have edited out your HiJack This log for two reasons: 1) We do not analyze them in this forum and 2) your issue is not a malware issue and so the HiJack This log in this case is irrelevant.

When your computer freezes watching Videos, are these videos already on the computer or are they downloading from some website while you view them?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:29 AM

it freezes when doing both. at random times, but i always have it on full screen, also it will freeze whn using convertxtodvd, i have since uninstalled it. the cpu usage on task manager jump alot from 100% to the low teens.i have stopped process i know do not need to be running but has not solved issue. also when it frezes the mouse will still move but cannot click anything, ctrl+alt+del works but cannot click, task manager and all. sometimes if i push a key it will make a beep constantly til i turn off power

Edited by yallwish, 27 November 2009 - 01:37 AM.

#4 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

also i work offshore and run power through a generator, everytime the generator is shut down and put on a new one, we ALWAYS shut computers down, but i was wondering if it would affect the power supply, nothing is hot and fans still all running good, using this pc on generator for bout year now

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

How much RAM installed on computer?

Computer manufacturer and model?

How much free space currently on C: partition?

Have you checked cleanliness and ventilation?

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

COMPUTER FREEZES - http://www.jrwhipple.com/computer_hangs.html. Ignore the solicitations, absorb the information presented.

Louis

#6 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

i have 2 512mb sticks of ram

103GB free space on C:

recently cleaned inside and all fans working/blowing properly

the computer was built by someone in the company so not sure on the manufacturer and model

also this morning i removed one of the sticks of ram and booted up on 512 and has yet to freeze, a little slower but has not frozen completely. i will post back if it continues, could it have been the RAM?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

i work offshore

I would remove the memory and any add-on cards you can and look at the connectors closely for corrosion
Salty sea air plays heck with electronics
My friend trashed a laptop in a little over a year
I opened it up and it was a mess. The hard drive literally froze
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

RAM is always a possibility :thumbsup:.

You can run a diagnostic on your RAM functioning, but you need to remember that RAM errors could be the modules...it could be the motherboard slots...it could the RAM timing mechanism operative in the motherboard.

Which is why tests must be conducted with each RAM module alone...and in combinations...and in each RAM slot.

Testing methodology concepts at Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86.

Diagnostic .iso file at Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso .

Instructions for burning .iso files to create bootable CDs: How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm . Chosse the method which appears easiest for you. I use the Active@ Iso Burner tool.

Louis

#9 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

well finally figured out how to get it on disc, ran the memtest and came back good, no errors, driving me nuts!! i have both sticks of ram back in and while i was trying to get the memtest on a cd , the pc froze on me several times

#10 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:52 PM

well i was doing some cleaning up on pc and found someone had ran ComboFix on this pc around the time it started freezing, there is still some folders with related to combofix and quarantine logs, would this have something to do with the problem i am experiencing?

#11 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:47 PM

You are probably overheating. Boot your PC up with the case open and watch the GPU fan. Also try downloading a fan/temp monitoring program and see how hot the GPU and CPU are getting.

Does your PC stay on without running videos? How long does it go without locking up in idle mode?

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

someone had ran ComboFix on this pc around the time it started freezing

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

• Note: There's a space between Combofix and /

• Posted Image

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

inside looks good, no corrosion..etc. been freezing up alot more. i tried to run combofix /u and it said windows could not find it. im am getting fed up and thinking about reinstalling windows xp from scratch, but do not have the installation cd, so i would have to find one first, thanks for all the help by the way, if yall could think of any other things i should try before wiping this pc let me know, oh and the cpu temp never gets above 36 degrees c

#14 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:18 AM

there are still some combofix .txt files and quarantine log but thats all

#15 yallwish

yallwish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

i dont know if yall gave up on me or not, but i have found an error in the event log that seems to be happening when the pc freezes......maybe, or at least i hope it is the culprit.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 12/1/2009
Time: 11:57:04 AM
User: N/A
Computer: 3CT2
Description:
The IP address lease 166.183.68.227 for the Network Card with network address 00A0D5FFFF8D has been denied by the DHCP server 166.128.135.253 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users