Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer and I don't know why.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tex

tex

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

I searched for other posts with the same problem but didn't find any.

I have a sony vaio computer with windows xp OS, it has over 80 gigs of hard drive space and 3/4 a gig of memory (was made in 2003) and it is running slowly, boot up takes about 5 to 10 minutes and other activity is slowed dramatically as well.

I have done a variety of malware scans using spybot, avast, malwarebytes and a few others but they find nothing.

I don't know how to increase my computers speed, please assist me at your soonest convenience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

Well...I think it unrealistic to expect a laptop 6 years old...to be a speed demon of any sort, compared to today's systems.

756MB of RAM in a laptop isn't going to set the world on fire, either. Depending on what programs are installed and how you have your virtual memory configured...

What model Vaio, please?

Have you tried running chkdsk and then...defragging the system after the chkdsk completes?

CHKDSK Utility - http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html Just Starting Check Disk, 1st section of it.

The basic way to increase a system's functional speed...is to install as much RAM as is feasible. Since you are running XP, that measn 4GB...but a system made 6 years ago probably won't support that. Which is why I would like to know the model, I can look up the specs then.

Louis

#3 krillanr

krillanr

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

I want to apologize for taking months to get back with the model, I'm afraid I forgot that I had asked, I forget alot. Oh and I am tex's grandson which is why I am posting on this topic. Model is PCVRS410

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

Original RAM is 256MB, max RAM is 1GB.

I stand with my original statement about the system and RAM.

Louis

#5 krillanr

krillanr

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

I just noticed that you said laptop, it is actually a desktop computer. I have run defrag, check disk, cleanup. Does the fact that it is a desktop change anything, Sony told us it has a integrated processor and I cannot gut the pc to upgrade it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

A 6-year-old system...with less than 1GB of PC3200...is going to be slow compared to any system put together since then.

Best advice I can give...delete existing partitions and do a clean install...and install the maximum RAM that system can handle...if you want optimum performance that system is capable of.

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

FWIW: The primary differences between a laptop and a desktop...relate to abiltiy to repair, troubleshoot, and upgrade individual components, IMO. The mobility aspect of a laptop is self-evident and not necessarily an advantage, depending on user and computing habits.

Louis

#7 krillanr

krillanr

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Thank you for your help, I will follow your link and see what available speed I can squeeze out of the computer.

Oh by the way, do you see a possibility in replacing the parts of the computer, I don't quite understand "integrated processor".

Edited by krillanr, 18 June 2010 - 08:50 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Motherboards with integrated processors (I've had some) cannot upgrade the CPU. The CPU is integrated and sold as part of the motherboard, just as onboard video, audio, USB and networking capabilities are.

The difference is that you can add a separate video card, sound card, USB controller card, or NIC...but you cannot "add" a CPU to that motherboard.

One of the primary differences between buying a system from Sony, HP, etc...and building your own...is that you can upgrade the individual components of a self-constructed system and you have no recovery/restore partitions...and you have a copy of the O/S that allows you to perform self-help not possible with recovery/restore disks.

Louis

#9 krillanr

krillanr

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

If I understand right, I will need to replace the motherboard and all included components with a separated assortment of components, correct?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

You have what I see as two distinct courses of action.

a. Install the max RAM in that system and use it.

b. Buy/build a new computer. At this time, it's silly to replace components for a P4 system...it's even sillier to try to use those possible replacement components in a proprietary case with a proprietary PSU. It's best to just start over, with newer/better components that will yield more value for the money spent. Simply...that was then, this is now.

Note: A "new computer" doesn't necessarily have to something marketed yesterday...but it should at least have dual processors and have faster RAM...than any P4 system. Lots of those around...cheap, IMO.

Louis

#11 krillanr

krillanr

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Alright then, thank you sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users