Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I keep getting "Data Execution Prevention". Whats wrong with my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 samoyed

samoyed

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

Hi,

Recently I keep getting this message
Pls see attached.

Then it will close all my windows.

Does this mean something is wrong with my Windows Explorer. How so I solve the issue.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:34 AM

When does this happen? Is it related to a specific action you attempt (like copying a file or inserting a USB thumb drive, etc?) Does it happen apparently randomly?

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:01 AM

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) messages mean that Windows feels threatened by some program running on
your computer, so it shuts it down. This is actually a good thing since Windows recognizes the threat
and is trying to prevent further damage.

You could tell Windows that the program is okay, but this is generally not a good idea especially not with Internet Explorer.

It is usually seen with Internet Explorer, so it could be that malicious software has compromised IE
itself or has compromised an IE Add-on program.

You should first run some good scans for malicious software and see if that will correct the problem:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

After running the scans, be sure to reboot and then test.

If you still see the problem, launch IE with no Add-ons and see how that goes. If it is okay, then we
can figure out which Add-on is causing the problem.

Fortunately, Windows has a built in option to run IE with no Add-ons (imagine that).

To launch IE with no Add-ons, click Start, Programs, System Tools and choose:

Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If you can't find that, click Start, Run and in the box enter:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

Click OK to launch IE with no Add-ons.

IE will launch with a message reminding you it is running with no Add-ons and ask you to click the Home button
(do it) and then you can try some other pages. The pages may look different, but you want to see if you
still get the DEP error message or not.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

I thought the issue was with Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer?

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

You're right :thumbsup: .

I should have stayed in bed.

I would still scan though.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Hello,

The issue pertains to Windows Explorer.

It occurs when:

1) I use the Delete key on the keyboard to delete files
2) when I right click on Files

I have recently scan my PC with the help of a member on this forum so I am sure my pc is fine.

Could it be something I might have disabled in Autorun?

I recently made some changes unfortunately I didnt save my old record prior to making changes.

Thanks

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

One popular "solution" is to just disable DEP, but I would rather figure out what it is and fix it.

Here are some ideas to narrow it down.

Since I now understand that it is Windows Explorer :thumbsup: , I suspect a non Microsoft Explorer Shell Extension. Shell Extensions help make up the Right Click menu for files you see in Explorer.

You can download ShellExView from here to see which ones you have loaded:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

ShellExView doesn't install anything on your computer, it just runs and displays.

When you launch it, the non MS extensions will be in light pink, but on some systems that is a hard color to see, so click View, Choose Columns and move the Microsoft column closer to the top so you can see it on your screen without having to scroll left and right.

Sort the display by clicking the Microsoft column so all the "No"s are at the top and easy to see.

I am not a trial and error advocate, but I can't think of another way to do this...

Right click and disable the non Microsoft extensions one at a time keeping a list so you can enable them again later if desired. Test your failure condition.

If you recognize any that you may have downloaded lately, start with those. The Extensions are not uninstalled, just disabled.

The hope is that you will find the one Extension that causes the DEP error and then you can figure out what to do about it.

I don't have your issue but I can see that the Extension is immediately disabled, so disabling one does not require a reboot but if you find the culprit, I would reboot anyway to really be sure.

There may also be an Event Log entry that will point directly to the problem.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time, so create your error and look for an event at that time.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with more information. On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

Edited by joseibarra, 28 November 2009 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users