Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 new wireless card, no PNP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emt_271

Emt_271

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

I have a Presario V6500, that apparently the network card failed (common problem?) Bought an Intel Mini PCI wireless card, and put it in the slot - even carries Compac part #. Problem is now neither card shows up in device manager, there was no plug and play upon power up for the new card. I force loaded the driver for the Intel card, it is a WM3495ABG. Thought I may have a DOA card, but upon further digging, in the "system information" The original Broadcom still shows as listed though not active. I have looked for Broadcom software and removed it, it no longer shows in the program manager. I,m at this point assuming that there is a registry entry telling the PC the old card is still there. The laptop does connnect wireless to my router, on a USB network device so I know the network stack and that portion is working. It also connects fine wired thru the wired NIC.

Thanks for looking at this....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:50 PM

You should be able to go into Setup/BIOS...and disable the onboard wireless.

I would uninstall the drivers for the old (via Device Manager)...reboot...go into BIOS, disable original...F10 to save BIOS change...system will reboot. Then install new card with no interference possible from old.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2009 - 10:51 PM.

#3 Emt_271

Emt_271
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

You should be able to go into Setup/BIOS...and disable the onboard wireless.

I would uninstall the drivers for the old (via Device Manager)...reboot...go into BIOS, disable original...F10 to save BIOS change...system will reboot. Then install new card with no interference possible from old.

Louis

I went into the bios, but the is almost no option to change anything - I have seen this duumbed down bios on a Compaq before - thought they stopped that. Any other suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

I would uninstall the drivers for both devices (if they both appear in Device Manager) and reboot...try installing the new card

You might also take a look at Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users