Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Error Message On Startup - Auto Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lorikaystewart

lorikaystewart

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Here is our problem: when trying to start Windows XP Home Edition, the following error message appears on a dreaded blue screen:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: ***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF91CF528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000)

1. I restarted the computer. The Windows screen did not appear. The blue screen/error message appeared.
2. I attempted to restart in Safe Mode. The Windows screen did not appear. The blue screen/error message appeared.
3. I attempted to disable automatic reboot on system failure. The Windows screen appeared briefly, then the blue screen/error message appeared.
4. I cannot check for viruses, as I cannot get past the blue screen/error message.
5. We have not installed any new hard drives or hard drive controllers.
6. I do not know how to check the hard drive to make sure it is properly configured.
7. I do not know how to run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption.
8. I attempted to start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. The blue screen/error message appeared.

Again, thanks very much for any help you can provide!
Lori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

<<I do not know how to check the hard drive to make sure it is properly configured.>>

If it's properly connected, reflected correctly in the BIOS, and partitioned/formatted...it's properly configured, IMO. Whether it has problems is a different story.

System manufacturer and model (e.g., eMachines T1357)?

Do you have recovery/restore CDs? Do you have a MS Genuine XP install CD?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users